Remove Third Brake Light Plastic Cover Tabs

Guest SQUEEGEE

Guest SQUEEGEE
:hmmm

Those are nice TTS especially if you don't mind paying close to $50 for a set.

I have found the wire cutters to work just fine for the money ($1.00).

Haven't pulled a deck on a Honda or Cherokee but for simple tab removal a set of wire cutters work great and most people have a pair lying around the shop.

Guest SQUEEGEE
The ones I remember have a center post of sorts... I always pushed the center post in and the outer cap would then release (or pull out) easily.

Is this the same plastic tabs you're speaking of? :hmmm

I wish I could find a pic of what I'm talking about. You don't see 'em much anymore on newer vehicles but the third brake light cover on older imports has a plastic cover that is held in place by two plastic tabs (one on each side) Each tab has a center push pin that helps lodge it in place and keeps only the cheap ass cover secure. I've broken more than a few using everything from a flathead screwdriver to a simple butter knife trying to pry them off. Once the cover is removed it exposes more often than not two 10MM bolts that hold the actual light in place.

A guy simply showed me an easier way. Also works great for removing the much larger tabs than often secure the back deck on some cars. Haven't broken a tab since I started removing 'em this way.

Guest SQUEEGEE

Those are nice TTS especially if you don't mind paying close to $50 for a set.

:hmmm:hmmm $78.75 :hmmm

Man I was gonna shoot higher. :lol6 Figures Snap-On would charge you up the arse for plastic 'n metal with fancy scribbling on it. Anyway's you do a bit of upohlstery work so it'd stand to reason you'd have a tool for just about every sitchee-ayshun but for those that have to lower their standards and operate on a budget you gotta learn to improvise.

That way you can save yer money for the finer things in life like Billy Hillfinger Cologne and authentic Stack-On tools. :spit

Guest thetintshop
Man I was gonna shoot higher. :thumb Figures Snap-On would charge you up the arse for plastic 'n metal with fancy scribbling on it. Anyway's you do a bit of upohlstery work so it'd stand to reason you'd have a tool for just about every sitchee-ayshun

actually you're right. I use these more often in headliner removal. but it's nice to have tools like these when I have to remove stuff when tinting. :thumb

Guest metint
The ones I remember have a center post of sorts... I always pushed the center post in and the outer cap would then release (or pull out) easily.

Is this the same plastic tabs you're speaking of? :lol

I wish I could find a pic of what I'm talking about. You don't see 'em much anymore on newer vehicles but the third brake light cover on older imports has a plastic cover that is held in place by two plastic tabs (one on each side) Each tab has a center push pin that helps lodge it in place and keeps only the cheap ass cover secure. I've broken more than a few using everything from a flathead screwdriver to a simple butter knife trying to pry them off. Once the cover is removed it exposes more often than not two 10MM bolts that hold the actual light in place.

Those be the ones I remember... since I don't get my hands on many cars today, I wouldn't know exactly what's being used fro tabs anymore. Just hope the car makers have learned from those older ones. :thumb

It's a great tip no matter how one removes 'em... as seen by the rewards it brought about... :beer

Archived