Getting my car tinted

Guest Hadoken

Guest Hadoken

My car is a black 84 Mazda RX-7 and I'm getting the windows tinted to help block some heat out of the car, but I don't want the tint to look rice or anything while I'm at it. Here are some pics of the car if needed http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oxspeshul...m/oxspeshuledxo

The local place here has quoted me $149.99 for the 2 side windows and the rear. That seems like a pretty good price to me and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Now, for $149.99 they told me I could either get Llumar ATR-CH or Llumar Platinum Plus. The max legal in North Carolina is 35%, so that would be what I end up with. Which is the better choice? I think Platinum Plus is better at blocking heat, but I don't want it to look like my car has tinfoil on the windows..How reflective is it? The Llumar website says 18% but the number means nothing to me..

Anyone have any pics of a black car with Llumar Platinum Plus on it?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest metint

Law enforcement will have you roadside occasionally, if you use PP35... they find it too reflective even though it meets the reflectivity standards of their tint law.

ATR 35 CH may bring you grief at inspection.

NC law is net 35% with 3% margin for error... glass and film must not go below 32% visible light transmission (VLT). Both films you've listed come too close to not passing given the extreme variations in glass density in different cars.

When it comes to auto tint you are doing great to have performance over 50% TSER. Keep in mind, you're driving a poorly insulated metal and glass canister. Window film is creature comfort while you occupy the car and truly is difficult for the skin to perceive minor differences in performance values.

If you truly want PP film, ask for PP 45. It is made specifically for State laws like the one NC has. Also, ATR 40 CH is available for NC installers to more easily comply with the law in that state.

Guest Hadoken

I haven't seen Platinum Plus on any cars, so I'm not sure how reflective it is, I hate it when a car looks like it has mirrors for windows..So I have a feeling PP may be too reflective for my liking.

I forgot to mention that in the email the place I'm getting it tinted said that to meet the laws they would use 40% for the ATR-CH and 45% for the Platinum Plus so between it and my windows it wouldn't go over the legal limit.

Guest Hadoken

Sorry about the double post, but I can't find the EDIT button.

The reason I'm wanting tint to block some heat, is because my air conditioner is poorly matched with the car. The A/C in older RX-7s just doesn't get cold enough to cancel out the heat from the big back hatch.

A guy I know with a car like mine said he always had the A/C all the way up until he got window tint and now he can turn it down.

Go with the Charcoal.The Platinum Plus will pick up a greenish hue to it on some vehicles which looks hideous IMO.It might not since you are going with such a light number but it isn't worth the risk when the charcoal will look good for sure.

I would maybe ask the tinter some questions on your rear window to make sure he plans on doing a proper job.Those cars are kind of a pain.Not from a shrinking stand point but the hardware.

I take the glass completely out.I make nice perfect circles around where the struts go,and the hinges at the the top of the window.It also has an open frame back window.So make sure it has a nice tight border around all four edges.

The rest of the car is a breeze.

Good Luck

Guest Hadoken

I think the company is trustworthy on doing a good job, so I hope they will do it the right way.

The reason I think they're trustworthy is they have tinted windows in several sky scrapers in the area. They do houses and buildings as well as cars.

Guest tintgod
Auto is completely different than flat...Just because they can tint a skyscraper with flat windows don't mean jack as far as tinting a car.  :beer

:trustme:bingo

by the way..I hate fukking tinting those cars... :beer ..no offense..

Many times the hardware on that car is already loosened up/stripped or really damn tight. The rubber/plastic pieces that APPEAR to be "washers" are actually acting as bushings...I.e. preventing the bolts holding the struts&hinges from contacting the glass both on the surface and through the glass. If the hardare ain't put back right, and compleate, you could later break your glass on closing.

Guest BCCwintint
Law enforcement will have you roadside occasionally, if you use PP35... they find it too reflective even though it meets the reflectivity standards of their tint law.

ATR 35 CH may bring you grief at inspection.

NC law is net 35% with 3% margin for error... glass and film must not go below 32% visible light transmission (VLT). Both films you've listed come too close to not passing given the extreme variations in glass density in different cars.

When it comes to auto tint you are doing great to have performance over 50% TSER. Keep in mind, you're driving a poorly insulated metal and glass canister. Window film is creature comfort while you occupy the car and truly is difficult for the skin to perceive minor differences in performance values.

If you truly want PP film, ask for PP 45. It is made specifically for State laws like the one NC has. Also, ATR 40 CH is available for NC installers to more easily comply with the law in that state.

The law is similar in Oregon, so CP just started shipping ATR 40 CH out here. I love this film. Legal and looks sweet! :beer

Archived