Back window breakage - Isuzu Rodeo's '96-'99

Guest FloridaTintChic

Guest FloridaTintChic

Hey,

I wanted to tell you what happened to me last week.My guy tints a rodeo,with defroster.One week later customer comes back and says the dealer said we cut a line on the defroster.and thats why it busted,my guy said he didnt cut inside.we cant defend our selves cause the glass in broken and shattered.I told him ,who the hell is the dealer?I have been in bussiness 13 yrs here and that never happned. the dealer blames everything on alarms and window tinters.Later he calls and says he got the window for 200 instead of 600.I asked him why he turned the defroster on in this tortured heat? he said he works early and there was fog and it broke.I have had several people around here say.he might have left the defroster on ect and that it is possible we cut it and that happenedand that I shloudnt do anything becuase I needed to see the window myself,and who could prove we did it. we didnt even see the galss ,he went and replaced it.I have a 3 page report from the dealer on how this can happen,its incredible,I would love to scan this and put it here.even shows drawings and its all about tint.What would you guys do?and how do I know that happned,what if he broke it with a baseball bat or his wi :lol fe did > lol

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Window film didn't do that. Besides the sun's energy creates more stress on the glass than anything other than a rock.

Most likely what happened was nickel sulfide inclusion

http://www.oldcastleglass.com/design_crite...spontaneous.php

It is a chemical reaction in tempered windows that breaks the glass.

exerpt:

Ok now back to your problem. Due to the heat treating process the tempered glass is extremely resistant to thermal sock, so there is no possibility that high temperature in your case 90� caused the breakage of glass, however sometimes the spontaneous breakage of tempered glass may occur due to the nickel sulphide inclusions.

In the manufacture of glass, there are approximately 50 identified chemical types present. Undissolved inclusions may be incorporated within the float glass. These are broadly categorized as "knots, dirt and stones ". Most of these are considered imperfections and do not influence the performance of the glass.

When glass is heat-treated, the nickel sulfide inclusions are modified into a form that grows or transforms with time and temperature. Once glass is installed and the nickel sulfide inclusions are solar heated, small cracks may develop from the inclusion. If these cracks penetrate the tension layer of fully tempered glass, the resulting release of energy will cause the glass to spontaneously break.

The manufacturer tries to minimize this spontaneous breakage with a so called heat soak test. If the heat soak was not perform on your rear windows perhaps this could be the reason for glass breakage. In my humble opinion if this is the case they should replace your glass, however it is not I cannot think of any other problem. I hope my answer help. Let me know how it goes.

Guest FloridaTintChic

but the whole problem is,he says we cut the defroster line when we were tinting it,What you said is exactly what my ex told me to more or less tell him,but the papers he brought me blames it on tint,im going to scan it and print what you wrote,thanks

Guest FloridaTintChic

I scanned a copy,please readt this and tell me how you would defend your self.I didnt even get to see the window close up,it was broken and the tint holding it and he left.Later he tells me he replaced it,brings me the bill and these 2 papers.

I wonder why it only affects those models :lol sounds fishy to me. Sounds like they have a problem with that window, and are looking to pin the blame on others.

If that were true, it would apply to ALL models, not just the models mentioned.

:inot

Sounds more to me that the supplier of that glass has some issues on how they temper the glass.

Interesting how they look at aftermarket as the problem, not the true reason for the problem

Guest metint

That paper was released a few years ago... I agree with the other's take on this... :mad

If I were in this situation, I would tell the dealer to prove it! Arm yourself with the info on Nickel suldise inclusion and wait...

I have heard this before on an Isuzu for those years only, hasn't happened since nor did it happen up until those model years. Seems they're the only car maker putting out the notice about cutting the defrost... but get this, they even mention that if the connector isn't replaced tightly :inot What if it works itself loose over time without tint... loose conection gonna break the glass too?

:lol Cover up for someone's elses mistake and it wasn't the tinter.

Archived