Rear Window Distortion

Guest drv

First, my apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place and/or if the topic has been covered in a thread and I've simply missed it. As I'm not a tint professional, I feel a bit like an intruder here. Still, I'm hoping you folks might share your professional expertise/insight.

I have a 2003 Honda civic and had the dealer (actually an in-house subcontractor) install tint when new, but immediately had trouble with severe distortion via the back defroster lines. They tried to remedy the problem but it didn't work, and so I had them take it off until I could get back into town this summer. Now, they've tried again, but the problem persists. (I get a series (6-10?) of horizontal lines of light for each headlight-dangerously distracting when there's a number of cars behind me) Now, they're suggesting that we try "smoke" tint instead of the metallic that's on the rest of the car, as it will adhere more readily to the defroster wires. They've offered to redo the whole car or just the back window, it's up to me, and so I'm trying to figure out what I should be asking them to do. So...

1) Looking throught the posts on this site, it doesn't seem like this sort of distortion (I.e., severe) is common w/Civics. Do I perhaps have a defective back window?

2) What's the difference between the smoke film and the metallic? Is it a bad idea to have the back window in smoke while the rest is metallic?

3) What is a reasonable solution? :thumb

(I get a series (6-10?) of horizontal lines of light for each headlight-dangerously distracting when there's a number of cars behind me)

We've covered this before.....it's not a problem associated with film quality but a problem associated within the physics of applying window film over heater demister lines.

Once any film is applied, the bump on each line of the rear bends the visible light coming through and over it.

This only occurs at night and you can't do anything about it.

You'll also find that with the sides is is not evident because the glass surface is dead smooth.

Dr. Devil and that will be $40 thank you. :thumb

Guest metint
(I get a series (6-10?) of horizontal lines of light for each headlight-dangerously distracting when there's a number of cars behind me)

We've covered this before.....it's not a problem associated with film quality but a problem associated within the physics of applying window film over heater demister lines.

Once any film is applied, the bump on each line of the rear bends the visible light coming through and over it.

This only occurs at night and you can't do anything about it.

You'll also find that with the sides is is not evident because the glass surface is dead smooth.

Dr. Devil and that will be $40 thank you. :thumb

:thumb The higher the lines are off the glass the worse the condition Devil speaks of... also the slope of the glass plays a role in this phenomenon... can be more serious immediately after the install due to small residual amounts of moisture remaining under film that will amplify the effect.

Metallic film does show this in its best light... pardon the pun... smoke and metallic on a car together... :thumb good plan... :lol6

Out of the millions of cars tinted every year, the manu I work for receives fewer than a half dozen calls about this. Not a big problem unless eyesight remains fixated on the film's surface rather than on the world's activity behind the car.

:cooldot

Guest yogi2187

If it as bad as you say maybe the installer is not pushing out the water good enough cuz I have seen this before but never heard of it being such an obsticle to see out your window.Try taking it to a REAL tint shop see if that helps

Guest Dodge Dart Rear window

After driving car for around 3 years, the rear window has become distorted. I almost looks like the window collected frost and was beginning to meld.

But it doesn't I can see most of the defroster lines, but between them keeps that icy look.

Any one experience that?

1 hour ago, Guest Dodge Dart Rear window said:

After driving car for around 3 years, the rear window has become distorted. I almost looks like the window collected frost and was beginning to meld.

But it doesn't I can see most of the defroster lines, but between them keeps that icy look.

Any one experience that?

Hard to say without pictures but from what you're describing it sounds like the film adhesive is failing and it's time to remove and replace the tint.