Sales tax on tint?

Guest dinan323

Guest dinan323

I wanted to know if other shops charge tax on window tints. I do paint protection film and asked my accountant if I need to charge sales tax and she said just on the film not the labor. But I dont want my customers knowing it only cost me $30 in film to do a hood and charge $200 or more.

Any help is greatly appreciated

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you from?

Let me tell you the way we do it here in ALABAMA (yelled loudly for an unknown reason) :fdup

I pay tax on my film and supplies when I purchase it. You do not have to pay tax on labor here yet. So I don't have to break it down as long as I can prove that taxes were paid on the purchase of the materials. You can compare this to a body shop using paint and materials. Lots of dealers do the same here. Buy the detail supplies paying tax to save the headache of seperating it later. I have heard and seen people put a shop fee at the same percentage as sales tax and slide it in under (literally) the blank spot that says sales tax. Makes it look like tax but was actually a bogus shop charge. You do what you like, I consider this dishonest making one thing look like another.

But to answer your question, The above is how I get around breaking it down. It's not illegal or dishonest in any form of the word. It's making life simple by not seperating it for you, the state, and the customer. hope this helps :fdup

I charge sales tax on autos only...no tax on residential or commerical. I was told that if it is considered a perment item being installed no tax...but if I would just sell customers the film I would have to charge sales tax on the materials...on the autos I charge our 6% sales tax on the complete job, collect it and pay the sales tax every 3 months..I do not break down the material from the labor and I charge the tax on the whole job ex. 200.00 plus 12.00....I'm probably wrong what do accountants know any way....

Guest DiamondCustoms

The only time we charge tax is if someone comes into the shop and just wants to buy tint for personal installation. If we do the tint job then no tax is charged. This makes accounting easier since otc tint sales are a minimum.

The only time we charge tax is if someone comes into the shop and just wants to buy tint for personal installation. If we do the tint job then no tax is charged.

But do you pay sales tax on the film when you buy it? If so, I would take the money and pocket it. Or if you aren't the shop owner, ring it up as non taxable merchandise or labor. Sounds reasonable to me. You only pay tax once on a purchase. And if GA is like AL you paid when you bought the film

No sense in blowing you tax dollars twice. You are cutting your profit margin by that many percent

Archived