Remote Starter Problems

Guest sullygully

Guest sullygully

OK, I have a puzzler for you all. I did something stupid today. I installed some led lights in my car to give the illusion of having a car alarm, not realizing that the postive wire is actually a negative wire, because it turns on when the car is off.

Anyways, I created some smoke, but didn't do any damage..So I thought.

Now I can't start my car with my key. The only way I can start my car is with my autostart (AS-1414) with the key in the on/run position. If the key is out of the car, the autostart doesn't work.

Now to throw a wrench into all of this, when I press the brake the car shuts off, even with the key turned to on/run position. I was however able to bypass this in order to drive the car. How you say? I pulled the fuse the the brake lights, so now I'm driving the car in autostart mode with no brake lights. not good.

So, my questions to you is, do I have to reset the autostart, did I fry my ignitition? (all fuses are in tact) or did I fry something in my autostart? I'd like to get as much info as possible (hopefully something that I can do to fix it) before I take it in and possible pay big bucks to get it fixed.

thanks for your help!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Film Critic

Ok stand up really straight

now bend at the waist to where you are looking at the floor

take a deep breath

Now tell the dealer what you did :lol

:thumb How does that feel??

What did you connect the LED wires to??

This will help a little.

Guest sullygully

Well, I already had my leds connected with no problems. the power was connected to the power of my fogs, and the accessory was connected to the my amp/reciever accessory.

The problem occurred when I decided I wanted my fog lights to be connected to an accessory as well, so they would turn off when the car turns off, that way I don't accidently leave them on(which I've done many times)

So I connected the accesory from my fogs, my leds, and my amp, all together. why you ask. becuase it was the easiest wire to get a hold of, so thinking easier would be well...easy, it obviously wasn't.

when I turned my fogs on thats when the smoke appeared, and I amediated turn the fogs off, all was calm. then, well the rest is history. so like I said before, I created a connection with a negative and a postive when the fogs were turned on......

...now the big question is, how the hell did that mess up my ignition? and with no fuses blown in both the fuse panels and all fuses in tack for the autostart.

...now the big question is, how the hell did that mess up my ignition? and with no fuses blown in both the fuse panels and all fuses in tack for the autostart.

Not all cars have fuses to their ignition. If they do, they are maxi fuses under the hood or something. I would say go look for these and see if you got lucky and blew one of them.

I would also recommend taking your car to someone that knows what they are doing and have a little more respect for the guys that know electrical :thumb

I don't know how good your installers are. I personally do everything myself and also do vehicle repairs for people as I have time. But I am an exception to most of the installers around here. I was one of the only dealer techs around that would touch anything with a remote start. And even then I would not warranty it regardless of mileage.

First totally remove the remote start since you are a beginner and most of all to make sure you aren't feeding back anything. Un-install everything connected to your acc/ign switch.

Just off the top of my head I would say your ignition switch is toast. Might want to replace the electrical part of the ignition switch, not the cylinder unless it's all one piece, and go from there. If you know how to check switches and relays, then check your switch while in the car with power on it and after you get it out of the car. Then check you switch wiring with switch out to make sure no wires are shorted elsewhere in the car and feeding back to the switch.

crap. I think I'll take it to the daeler and have them hook it up to the computer

the computer will only tell them one thing. If the ignition is coming on or not. And that's only if the guy using it knows where to look. There is not a specific place to read resistance through the switch. You would be better off taking it to someone, dealer or not, that is well known for electrical problems. :tantrum

Archived