Window treatments

Guest RobOnTheCape

I just started tinting awhile back, and have decided to move much more into tint over blinds/shutters. I mentioned this on another thread, but with tint there's much less stress. You bring in the right tint, cut/apply, check, and walk away. Not so with blinds/shutters. Off by a 1/4 on an inside mount blind/shutter and you own it.

I've started to refer the blind jobs out and pick up a referral fee.

Less lifting(especially shutters) less trash, less go backs. With blind install you needs parts galore to carry along. Tint you need a bucket of tools and a few extras in the truck.

In comparison I see tinting as free money.

btw, I can easily see 30 - 40k jobs in blinds. HD Silhouettes can be pricey and they go up awfully fast. 4 hours - you have a pretty good system down to get that done.

btw, I just happened to come across this site a few hours ago. Great site, and a godsend of info. If I can help anyone with blinds/shutters(I love Norman shutters) feel free to get back to me. Measure sheets/advice whatever just get back to me.

Cheers

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest netslacker

Hey Rob,

It just happens that I am in the market for cell shades OR shutters. I got a quote for Normal shutters but the price was pretty high. Can you tell me what kind of margin there are for this type of product?? Should a 34 X 58 window run about $400 for a white wood shutter? Also I liked the looks of the Norman Shutters but heard some bad things on some of the boards (made in China and so on). Any feedback on quality?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

SP

I just started tinting awhile back, and have decided to move much more into tint over blinds/shutters. I mentioned this on another thread, but with tint there's much less stress. You bring in the right tint, cut/apply, check, and walk away. Not so with blinds/shutters. Off by a 1/4 on an inside mount blind/shutter and you own it.

I've started to refer the blind jobs out and pick up a referral fee.

Less lifting(especially shutters) less trash, less go backs. With blind install you needs parts galore to carry along. Tint you need a bucket of tools and a few extras in the truck.

In comparison I see tinting as free money.

btw, I can easily see 30 - 40k jobs in blinds. HD Silhouettes can be pricey and they go up awfully fast. 4 hours - you have a pretty good system down to get that done.

btw, I just happened to come across this site a few hours ago. Great site, and a godsend of info. If I can help anyone with blinds/shutters(I love Norman shutters) feel free to get back to me. Measure sheets/advice whatever just get back to me.

Cheers

Guest vclimber
Hey Rob,

It just happens that I am in the market for cell shades OR shutters. I got a quote for Normal shutters but the price was pretty high. Can you tell me what kind of margin there are for this type of product?? Should a 34 X 58 window run about $400 for a white wood shutter? Also I liked the looks of the Norman Shutters but heard some bad things on some of the boards (made in China and so on). Any feedback on quality?

SP

$400. is about right. Stay away from Norman Composite Shutters. They are MDF wrapped in plastic. Bad news if water gets into em. :beer

Guest windoworx

Hey Rob,

SP

$400. is about right. Stay away from Norman Composite Shutters. They are MDF wrapped in plastic. Bad news if water gets into em. :beer

I have been installing Norman Shutters for over 7 yrs. I have never had an issue with the Woodlore Product. It is not MDF if I an not mistaken. I have had to have at some frames with a power plainer a few times. Best way to describe them would be compressed cardboard. Now I would not install them in an outdoor porch for sure.

Guest vclimber

Hey Rob,

SP

I have been installing Norman Shutters for over 7 yrs. I have never had an issue with the Woodlore Product. It is not MDF if I an not mistaken. I have had to have at some frames with a power plainer a few times. Best way to describe them would be compressed cardboard. Now I would not install them in an outdoor porch for sure.

Or in a bathroom next to the shower? :beer

Take a look at the nails that are used for the "clear view option". Why plastic? How long do you suppose those will hold up? :beer

Guest Key West
Oh, not important, just wondered. Don't have to be overly specific. If its not on the tip of your fingers, not worth it. I've only done one job over $30K ever, just a little dealer.

Ya gotta understand that Boo is in an area with over 700,000 people In the Sarasota area alone. And 45 - 50% of 'em have more money than god! A 2400 s/f house on Siesta Key can go for over 3 million!! :thumb

Guest RobOnTheCape

"Hey Rob,

SP"

Sorry for the looong delay. Haven't been on this site in awhile. Norman Woodlores are MDF, and it seems to be the shutter of choice when choosing between the three Norman has to offer. The dealer should be offering them to you at around $15.00 -$16.00 shipped. Retail Woodlores run around $31.00 here, with install perhaps additional. Your price is about $28.50 per ft. Shops here might match that if they were presented with another shops deal.

Woodlores are the choice here on the Cape since they are not prone to warping like the real wood may do. I've installed large arched systems in bathrooms with no problems so far. There may be a better shutter to install from an installers point of view, but I haven't run across it. Hinges are tight allowing for 2-3 panels hinged together with little drop off, and the hinges themselves are adjustable. A very good system, and the only drawback I see is the fact that they are made in China, and while the production process starts days after they receive the order, to receive them here on the east coast the shipping time is about 6 weeks, more for systems requiring templates. Otherwise, the fact that they are made in China should be a non-issue. Otherwise don't bother shopping in any big box store- or about any other store these days.

For blinds check out Smith and Noble online, or just type in "blinds" in Google. Blinds online save you sometimes 50% over a retailer, though quality varies

Cheers

Archived