? bout glass

We did a F-150 today, customer went out and got clear glass so film would match all the way around. I noticed the glass code numbers after we did the install were not the same (either was the film). The driver door and rear quarter window were both AS2, but the DOT was not the same. Door was DOT-278 or 275 and rear quarter window was DOT-57 or 75. Anyway, to my understanding the AS is the darkness of the glass, is the DOT the color of the glass? If I'm wrong about the AS code, does anyone know why they were so far off. p.s. same 35% was installed on both windows.

Guest krazykasper11

from what I know the as has something to do with the type of glass

AS-1= laminated such as a windshield

AS-2= temperad glass such as the sides and rear

AS-3= colored class such as most of the new trucks and burbans with factory privacy glass

the dot #'s I don't know either

p.s. AS-3 glass is softer than AS-2 and should not be scraped with a razor blade land rovers have AS-3 all the way around and has no factory privacy color so please watch out for those :DD

Definately good info KK11, both sides are AS2 so we know that is not part of the reason now. There are a few other numbers on the glass in same area. I will try some more glass shops in town. Sometimes you wonder though, how some of these people have made it this far in their industry. What I'm saying is, I expected a glass shop to know a little more about this then they do. Thanks KK11

Guest krazykasper11
Definately good info KK11, both sides are AS2 so we know that is not part of the reason now.  There are a few other numbers on the glass in same area.  I will try some more glass shops in town.  Sometimes you wonder though, how some of these people have made it this far in their industry.  What I'm saying is, I expected a glass shop to know a little more about this then they do.  Thanks KK11

your very welcome glad I could shed a little lite on the subject for you :DD

Glass Marks

Federal Marks

The new Federal regulations at the time of the first-generation Camaro required only three types of marks on motor vehicle glass:

the AS (American Standard) number (classified by ANSI Z26 and Part 205),

the M (Model) number (assigned by the manufacturer), and eventually,

the DOT manufacturer number (assigned by NHTSA)

My understanding of AS- whatever number denotes its location use according to safety testing and not anything to do with color... I could not find anything on AS-3, though I know it exists and understand it to be used mostly for rear glass behind the 'B' pillar...

The American Standard "AS" Glass Classifications

The AS (or American Standard) glass codes are listed in the ANSI Z26 standard classification of motor vehicle glass produced by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Note that ANSI Z26 is a "performance" standard that sets minimum requirements for the functional performance of a product, rather than a manufacturing description of the product; in other words, it doesn't tell manufacturers how to make the glass but rather what functions the glass must perform. While a number of motor vehicle glasses are listed in this standard, for first-generation Camaros there are only two classifications that apply:

AS-1 Laminated glass, windshield only

Must pass the various ANSI Z26 tests/requirements for windshields, which include impact standards and a minimum of 70% light transmissibility.

AS-1 glass is typically composed of two pieces of 1/8-inch glass laminated on either side of 0.030-inch of PVB plastic.

AS-2 Laminated or tempered glass, side/rear only

This glass is required to pass ANSI Z26 tests for side glass, including side impact requirement and a minimum of 70% light transmissibility. This glass is typically composed of one sheet of thick tempered glass (Solid Tempered) or (not seen on Camaros) two layers of thinner glass laminated to either side of a 0.015-inch PVB plastic core.

:thumb

Archived