What is wrong with my rear passenger windows?

Guest kschin

Just purchased a Honda CRV LX 2004 (no tint) a week ago. Had it tinted 1.5 days ago with Formula 1 Ultimate 18 on the back windows (28 up front) by a shop all my buddies recommended. I didn't notice it until a few hours after it was done, but both of the large rear passenger door windows appear slightly darker and more purplish than all other rear windows (the smaller pane on the rear doors, the windows on the back sides and the hatch window) which comparatively look a bit lighter and more silver/gold colored.

It can't be different film (the guys assured me it was all from the same roll), as the discoloration isn't uniform on the window either... it tends to fade towards the silver/gold color of the rest of the windows on the rear 15% of the window. It took it back to have the guys at the tint shop have a look and they said they haven't seen this before (though they have seen lots of crazy things, and recommended I wait until it dries completely first). We've concluded that the problem appears to be that the glass is discolored and adding the film to it was enhancing this difference.

Here are some photos... have a look:

a.jpg

b.jpg

The below picture is the reflection of me off of the discolored window:

c.jpg

Now I moved over a foot, reflecting from the smaller glass peice in the same door:

d.jpg

Other side of the car... exactly the same. Note that it the rear (left) 15% or so of the discolored window appears to fade to the "correct" color:

e.jpg

So. My question is, what is the deal here?! Has anyone seen something like this before? Do you think it is the glass? The tint? The fact that it hasn't completely dried yet? Anyone seen a Honda that looked similar?

What can I do? :spit

I do believe it's the glass. I've seen that before when they use different glass on different panes, and it looks goofy. Look closely at the markings, the specs of the glass in the corners. If they aren't the same, that's probably the problem. Definitely not the tint. But hey, hard to tell from pics. Deal with your tinter and car dealer, not much we can do.

Guest grumpy-ol'tinter
I do believe it's the glass. I've seen that before when they use different glass on different panes, and it looks goofy.  Look closely at the markings, the specs of the glass in the corners.  If they aren't the same, that's probably the problem.  Definitely not the tint.  But hey, hard to tell from pics.  Deal with your tinter and car dealer, not much we can do.

yeah. this old tinter guy is right

Thanks for the responses. I happen to be going to the dealer tomorrow to have them take care of a couple spots on the paint so I will see what they have to say about the glass. I did check the specs on the different panes: The front door glass and the "ugly" glass in the rear doors are the same. (Of course the tint in the front is 28, compared to 18, so there's no true direct comparison.) The smaller pane in the rear doors is similar but has a different bottom number. The far rear windows and back window is different by more than just the bottom number.

Mdog, I'm Curious, are the labels in the glass on both panes of your rear passenger doors the same or different?

tintslut, sorry, I checked out a few threads here and given the forum topic I thought this was an appropriate question. Is there somewhere else a consumer can seek advice?

Thanks again.

Guest shattered
Is there somewhere else a consumer can seek advice?

Yes you can take it back to the tint shop you had the work done. The reason we are a little shy on giving you an answer is the fact that it is impossible to tell from pics. Also it becomes a hornets nest when we give answers to consumers. If you ask 10 tinters their input you will probly get 10 different answers

Archived