Shrinking around hardware

Guest metint

Remove buttons, clean glass, dry laminate a small scrap of film to the glass exterior covering each hole, anti-static coat glass surface, lay film for shrinking, shrink, remove film for install, remove hole covering scraps, and replace hardware.

Has to be my shortest informative post ever... :thumb

You lost me Metint..what is the purpose of covering the holes with scrap film (if the answer is too obvious..keep in mind I just rolled out of bed and still asleep :thumb )

You lost me Metint..what is the purpose of covering the holes with scrap film (if the answer is too obvious..keep in mind I just rolled out of bed and still asleep :thumb )

[*]218369

That's because I didn't explain why to do this. :rock

When hardware buttons or their holes through the glass become an challenge in heat forming nicely around them, remove the buttons and cover their hole over with a scrap piece of film.

This give you a flat surface rather than a hole during heat forming, which will go a long way in minimizing puckers in those areas.

Help any? :rock

I wrote it at 2 in the AM hour so go figure...

Guest metint
Thanks Metint! Never thought to try that. :evilgrin

[*]218381

It's rare to use this, but it does keep the heat form surface smooth and free of pesky holes.

Guest zolar

I am gonna try that one. :twocents

Nothing worse than getting a back glass shrunk, after removing 100 lbs. of hardware, only to hold the heat over the hole too long, and have pucker.

I am too picky to not lay 'em down, even if I have to start all over.

And I love wasting 4-5 ft of film, and a half hour, makes me very pleasant company.

Z

Archived