Shaving edges

Guest shattered

Guest shattered

How to shave the edges of roll-ups

Get yourself an X-acto knife

Put the film on as you usually do. W hen you position the film on the glass at the top edge, bump it up so it is past the top edge. About a 1/8 inch is enough. Now to start the process you need to remember 45 degree angles These angles are very important! Now take the blade and start at a 45 degree angle to glass. Then turn knife to a 45 degree angle. And then a 45. This gets confusing when trying to explain it so I will get pics. The cut is done on an upward stroke. I have never had one peel back on me yet. Give it a try it is really fast and looks great. When all angles are at the 45's and you are cutting you may need to adjust more or less angle for the depth of the cut. Less will give you a deeper cut. Hold the blade gently and use upward strokes. If you're getting jagged edges adjust your angles a little but usually the 45's are about right.

This is the first 45 angle

This is the Second 45 angle

And the Third

Guest shattered

I blue max it, shave it, bump edges on top , roll up the window and finish tinting But if you are doing a frameless roll-up let it dry a bit. At first when I started doing this I was getting alot of contamination it the tint right at the top edge. When shaving it takes and files the top edge of the glass. And it was these shavings that were coming back into my tint. Over time this problem has gone away. I guess I was not at the right angle with the knife. :DD

Shaving adds steps to the process, but no doubt looks great... heating the glass edge to be shaved certainly helps to keep the film from moving when the blade is positioned at a 45 degree angle mentioned... it really needs to be done before the glass is rolled up.

Works great for frameless... takes practice and can be achieved using a single edge razor blade, X-acto or an Olfa blade. The angle is the secret... :DD

Archived