New(?) security film

Guest Wellington P Funk

Guest Wellington P Funk

Hey all,

Not a professional tinter (as a college bum, I guess you could call me a professional student!), but I've been lurking here for awhile learning about tinting. Definitely a lot of good stuff to learn on here for the consumer, gives a great appreciation of this art of tinting.

Anyway, I was on Jeeps Unlimited greedily snapping up every bit of Jeep info I can find, and I saw a post about this new security film that this company is offering for automotive applications. I don't know if you've seen this before or not, but the video on the site is pretty impressive.

USACE Auto Film

The only thing I'm left wondering is, what if you get in an accident and can't open the door??

-Bob

Ace up your sleeve... :krazy

Sorry but I don't need to check the linky... too easy to pick up worms and viruses that way

Safety films have been around for more than 30 years... nothing spectacular in any of them when it comes to autos. A 7 mil safety film would provide plenty of theft deterrent and many film manufacturers have videos of performance. Many keep their claims within reason and a few of them do not. Buyer beware. Safety film was once known as fragment retention film, but no one liked the name so it's called safety film.

The only thing I'm left wondering is, what if you get in an accident and can't open the door??

Guess you'd best be good at kicking on the window for awhile or have yourself a BMFHammer to carry in the car just for those occasions.

Guest Wellington P Funk

I watched the video demonstration on the site.

They threw a Molotov cocktail at the untreated window, the entire window shattered and the passenger compartment was engulfed in flames. They threw another cocktail at a treated window, it bounced off. . . and engulfed the entire EXTERIOR in flames. . . . Safe, eh?

Next, they used a nail punch (basically a sharp punch used to make holes for nails or screws in wood). With the untreated window, one punch shattered the entire window, which was easily pushed in. With the treatment, the punch was used several times and only made tiny holes. The glass didn't shatter.

Next was a crowbar and an aluminum baseball bat. The treated glass shattered, but after 4 or 5 hits from each the glass still couldn't be pushed in.

I didn't get to look at the entire site, but from the navigation bar on the left side this company's strongest stuff is supposed to be able to withstand an explosive device. Just wondering if that is par for the course as far as safety film?

-Bob

Yes, yes... the guys from LLumar UK have done the same with rocks, punch, motorcyle helmet, spark plug ceramic... comparing no film, 4 mil, and 7 mil safety film.

The guy doing the hitting has 2 black belts and struggled to get through the 7 mil, 4 mil was so so...

It has yet to be converted into marketing use.

Like I said before, every well known name in film can performs as well as any obscure name....

I have attended a seminar on vehicle safety. Aparrently the "experts" opinion is, that the way cars are constructed today and accidents go, it is first and mainly important that nothing happens to the people inside during the accident. That no person or part of him/her leaves the car (through the broken window) during the accident. What would be better after the accident is of secondary importance. Kind of like after an accident it may be better not to have the seat belt on.

If that doesn't convince any potential customers let them know that high end cars like Merc S-class or Audi A 8 have laminated glass all around. I used to put 7 mil safety film on 7-series BMW's with laminated glass at the factory for fragment retention. The little glass fragments of a regular toughend glass are no longer safe when they fly at your face with 150m/h during a side impact.

Archived