Method of cutting

Guest pAiNtBaLlEr88

Which method do you use for cutting tint?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which method do you use for cutting tint?

• Plotter
    • Outside of glass
    • Template
    • Other method
    • All of the above

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone here use plotters for graphics and if so is it a time saver?

[*]281225

depends on the design. a standard flame design I can cut out pretty much just a quick myself. a real crazy twisting multi-layer design means plotter time. :DD

Im trying to talk my wife into a plotter for the reason of graphics. But most of the shops/Reps Ive talked with cant answer my questions about graphics and plotters.One would think the people selling the stuff would know what it's capable of doing..go figure.

Guest Jason
I've seen first hand what the plotter programs produce. it's a freakin joke. there's no way my customers would let me turn that kind of crap out of my shop.

then of course you have the guys (like me) telling people that "computer cut" tint jobs are done by people who don't know how to tint.

the way I see it, if the plotter guys can advertise their "precise computer cut/installed" tint jobs, AND LIE ABOUT IT, then why can't I lie about it too?

the problem is, 95% of the time, what I'm telling them is true.

hope you plotter guys aren't advertising "custom" window tinting at your shop. because that's a freakin lie. "custom" means it's something that tailored to suit that particular vehicle. it's not exactly custom if every piece of tint you turn out for a 04 chevy is exactly the same.

yeah I know, I suck. just be glad none of you turds have to put up with me as a customer. :lol2

[*]243772

:) Not only directed towards this post, but wtf? I have yet to half to redo a pattern cut on my plotter. I mean, I have not had a light gap and my top edge lines up snug. I dont think you guys think you know what your talking about ( I feel stupid saying that considering some of you have been tinting 10x longer that me)

Question... Have you ever used a plotter to cut tint? Was the cutting application a reputable one? Is your plotter an ancient p.o.s?

I just want to get the facts straight. I know you guys are old school and dont need a plotter. But for people just starting out- it can be a very good tool. I personally use it for maby 15% of the glass I do.

Just tryin to help out the new guy who might read this and decide not to use his plotter cause a know it all who made an uneducated guess.

As for lying to customers- no I dont. I put on their car exactly what I say im going to. I point to the plotter I will be using. As for lasers, my plotter actually does have a type of laser sensor on it, but im not quite sure what it does exactly.

My advise. If you have one use it. If all you do is tint, it might not be worth buying one- considering most windows are easily cut by hand.

I dunno, Just my opinion. I simply dont like people bashing a method that could actually help someone, It sure as hell helped me in the begining.

:DD

I double cut all my roll-ups, I make  a pattern out of release liner for the quarters, and double cut them too.

I was seriously considiring a plotter, ...........untill today.

Cutting the film is the fastest step in tinting. The shrinking and cleaning take longer for me.

Z

[*]281215

Thats how I do it too.I double shrink the roll ups and qtrs too if they need it.

I double cut all my roll-ups, I make  a pattern out of release liner for the quarters, and double cut them too.

I was seriously considiring a plotter, ...........untill today.

Cutting the film is the fastest step in tinting. The shrinking and cleaning take longer for me.

thats exactly how I do it also :thumb

Guest gazmex

I dunno about cuttin on car,as some glass seems all to easy to scratch.

we place a sheet of film on the side of the car,make a template with a marker pen then place it on a large flat glass mounted to the wall for some bang on cuttin.

only problem is that you have to change the flat glass every now and then as it scores

seven shades of :popcorn out of the glass.

side glass,quarter glass and back glass all done same way.

but what is "double cutting"?

Archived