Viper 160XV remote start question

Guest catfan64

Guest catfan64

New to this forum. Hope somebody can give me some insight. I have a 2005 Ford Escape, with the factory perimeter alarm. I just had a Viper 160XV remote start installed, and everything works great except for one problem. If I lock the vehicle with the Viper remote, but came back to the car, and unlock it with the key, and NOT unlock with the remote, then when I go to start the car, the horn starts beeping and the lights flash, as if the factory alarm was set off. The guy where I had it installed said that it happened because the remote, and the viper unit got out of sinc, because I locked it with the remote, but didnt use the remote to unlock. He took a look at it and said he hooked up a wire to the factory security system, so that if it happened again, I could just hit the button on the viper remote, to shut off the alarm. This didnt change anything, and while if I occasionally set of the alarm, and have to hit the viper remote to shut it off, I guess I could live with that. But what if, I go to work, lock the vehicle with the viper remote, then while im at work, the battery in the remote dies, or say it falls out of my pocket and gets stepped on, or ran over with a fork lift? Then when I go back to my car, when I start it, since I cant unlock it with the Viper remote, the alarm is going to go off, and I have no way to turn in off. Does this sound right to you? Is there something in the viper programming they can change, to prevent this?

Guest kccartint

Tell the installer to turn of the security features. There is a disarm button on the system to turn off the alarm. Read your manual and play with the system so you know how everything works.

Guest the great orator
Tell the installer to turn of the security features.  There is a disarm button on the system to turn off the alarm.  Read your manual and play with the system so you know how everything works.

[*]239342

I just had this system installed in my 2003 Dodge Ram QC. My wife doesn't want to have a second key fob on her keychain, so she just uses the key.

Well, she got in one day and I heard the panic alarm going off, and shw wasn't shutting it off. She didn't have a new key fob with her.

I believe it isn't your security system out of sync, because I had the same problem with my truck. I don't have a security system in my truck. I had this disagreement with the installer, with him insisting that I had a security system in my truck and I didn't know about it. He said that it would go off if I locked the doors, (with the window down) then attempted to open the door without using the key fob. Guess what? No alarm. But if you put the key into the ignition and start to turn, I got a real short and fast "honk honk honk honk honk" like chirps, then what sounded like the panic alarm horn going off. And the truck wouldn't start. I had to shut off the honking by activating the keyfob.

Now... when I originally had the system installed, I checked the panic feature with the new key fob, and the horn honking was much faster than it was with the factory fob, which leads me to believe that the viper head unit is controlling the honking. This also leads me to believe that the starter k1ll feature included in the 160xv also acts as a starter k1ll alarm. I'm going to submit this to my insurance company as an alarm. And I'm showing my wife how to use the valet button to circumvent the starter k1ll, just as soon as I figure it out myself. Look at page 10 in the owner's manual. It might fix your problem or worries of losing the key fob. :eyebrows

Archived