Best tint for 2005 Toyota Prius

Guest ruthie

Guest thetintshop
Hi - sorry to bring out an old topic but I figured it would be easier then starting a new one...

I also have an 05 Prius but I have the Navigation system in it (antenna in the dash).  I have heard mixed things about getting non-metallic tint, non-reflective tint, etc, to not interfere with the signal.  Someone has told me that it doesn't really matter since the antenna is so far up on the dash it has a clear view of the sky.  He did say, however, the reflective tint may mess with the cell phone reception.  I have a place in town (Los Angeles) that will do Solarguard NR Grey for $130 or 3M non-metallic w/ lifetime warranty for $195.  Not sure what to do...  I really like the look of the relfective tint since my car is silver it would like nice but I don't want my GPS or cell reception affected.  Also, I don't want to go with a lesser non-metallic tint that won't look as nice or will need replacing.  Anyone know a place that has that Huperoptic Cermanic tint in LA?  Thanks for any advice!!!!  :inot

[*]273522

damn, those prices are cheap. even for my area. that's REALLY cheap for cali.

(by saying those are cheap prices, I'm NOT saying you found a good deal. I'm suggesting you look around a bit more)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Erick

Yeah, they are chep. He is giving me a small break since there are 2 of us getting our cars done. I am tempted just to do the Solargard NR Grey for $130. It has a 5 year warranty. I've had five or six previous cars tinted all with no problems from various shops around LA but I never bothered to do any research on the tint brands until this whole GPS metllic tint interference came up... I assume the Solargard will be fine but maybe I should just pay the extra $60 for the 3M. Or maybe I should just get a metallic tint like one of the Solargard HP tints.... Too many choices! :inot

Guest tintgod

here is one that I did...its 35% on front doors and 20% on back doors and back window..it looks dark inside ..but it isnt once you get it out in the sun

Guest LOLGuy
I different angle..

[*]273548

It doesn't look like you did the triangular windows on the sides. Is it the picture or are they too tough? Thanks.

Guest LOLGuy
I different angle..

[*]273548

Oops. Just noticed you are in Jacksonville. I know it's a big state but is there anyone in the Tampa/Lutz area you'd recommend?

Called one place in the Yellow Pages today and they quoted $145 for Huper. That sounds not too reputable.

Thank you!

Guest tintgod
I different angle..

[*]273548

It doesn't look like you did the triangular windows on the sides. Is it the picture or are they too tough? Thanks.

[*]273549

the owner didnt want them done...didnt want to pay the extra 15 dollars to have them done :inot

Guest tintgod
I different angle..

[*]273548

Oops. Just noticed you are in Jacksonville. I know it's a big state but is there anyone in the Tampa/Lutz area you'd recommend?

Called one place in the Yellow Pages today and they quoted $145 for Huper. That sounds not too reputable.

Thank you!

[*]273551

sorry...cant help you out there...I would call or go by about 3 to 4 shops...and ask them ?s...and see their work..ask when is a good time for me to come down and see some of the work they do.....it will benifit you more doing it that way..then coming on here and asking us .good luck

Guest datavortex
I also have an 05 Prius but I have the Navigation system in it (antenna in the dash).  I have heard mixed things about getting non-metallic tint, non-reflective tint, etc, to not interfere with the signal.  Someone has told me that it doesn't really matter since the antenna is so far up on the dash it has a clear view of the sky.  He did say, however, the reflective tint may mess with the cell phone reception.

[*]273522

Hello, n00b here.

This is the same question I came to this forum seeking the answer to. I have the same car, and the same concern - blocking my cell, radio, and GPS signals due to a metal-based tinting film. I am considering getting the distant and pricey Huper Optik ceramic-based film in order to avoid this problem. This about triples my cost, not to mention the inconvenience, so I was hoping someone knows whether this is something I ought to worry about.

Also - Are there any other brands that would be cheaper or easier to find that are ceramic-based? Are there any other alternatives to metal-based films that don't suck? Has anyone even been able to find a Huper Optik dealer in Georgia?

Thanks for your expertise.

Archived