Window Tint/AM Reception

Guest mdevine

As mentioned above ...unless there was damaged occured during removal of old tint ..let it dry...if it's still an issue , have a cut made above the rear defrost line. That will fix the problem. :cool

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes..it separates the 2 ..the reason for putting "just above" the last defroster is so the seam is "hidden" still giving the back window the illusion of being 1 peice.

Guest mdevine

Now that my Jets lost to the Steelers I may be done with listening to sports radio anyways.

I do not understand how cutting a slit in the tint could fix the problem. The metallic tint is still over the antenna so wouldn't that still be an issue.

My installer is talking about cutting off the top portion of the tint where the antenna is and putting a solid black texture/fabic/tint. I am worried this will not look good/stock.

Would a non-metallic tint in the real look dumb with metallic tint on the side?

Thanks

Now that my Jets lost to the Steelers I may be done with listening to sports radio anyways.??? :dunno? :lol2

I do not understand how cutting a slit in the tint could fix the problem.? The metallic tint is still over the antenna so wouldn't that still be an issue.? SEE EPLANATION BELOW

My installer is talking about cutting off the top portion of the tint? where the antenna is and putting a solid black texture/fabic/tint.?? I am worried this will not look good/stock.??

Would a non-metallic tint in the real look dumb with metallic tint on the side? Possibly

Thanks

[*]246859

Cutting along the top defroster breaks the quasi-connection the film has established between the two components, radio and defroster. The film is then able to dissipate the radio signal across the defrost grid, which is grounded to the chassis.

Though there is a layer of polyester and adhesive between the metal of the film and the metal used in those lines making up the antenna and defrost grid, there's a transfer of signal through to the metal of the film.

Put tin foil over your portable radio antenna and electrically ground the tin foil and you will lose or disrupt the signal in the same fashion as what is occurring in your automobile.

Separating the two with a slit above the last defrost breaks the connection (and grounding) and has been tried and confirmed to work by other film installers. If you still care to have the vinyl installed, that'll work too. :krazy

Metint says it best in his sophisticated way...and the rest of us experienced tinters way the same thing basically(were just a little more basic in our descriptions :dunno ) In either case you've asked..we've given you the solutions to choose from .

Nothing more can really be added here.

These methods work :krazy

Archived