dirt sucks

Guest val

:lol6 doing my own home and having trouble with contamination. can you guys , and gals, give me some tips on stopping the dirt from sucking in especially on wooden frames? cleaning the hell out of it,cut seems good, but when I go to push it out, dirt sucks in . my proceedure is,clean with scrubby, wipe frames,sqweegee again, sray and apply. not getting any cont. in the center, only on the edges. can't figure out how to stop it. gonna run out of film pretty soon..... help,please!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintgod
:lol6 doing my own home and having trouble with contamination. can you guys , and gals, give me some tips on stopping the dirt from sucking in especially on wooden frames? cleaning the hell out of it,cut seems good, but when I go to push it out, dirt sucks in . my proceedure is,clean with scrubby, wipe frames,sqweegee again, sray and apply. not getting any cont. in the center, only on the edges. can't figure out how to stop it. gonna run out of film pretty soon..... help,please!

[*]247486

have a pro do it..?.. :lol

Flush , flush , flush the sides with a concentrated stream of solution, then apply after final wipe -up anf clean...since just starting out ...do a "test run" with a scrap peice and run it along the sided acting as a "vacum"...if nothing else sucks out to it..your good...also avoid spraying the sides of th window with solution B4 applying...only the film itself and the body of the film. towel as soon as possible to seal the edges a soon as main squeeqeeing is done.

Not THE way ..only A way :lol6

[*]247486

Wood painted frames suck (don't know if yours are painted). Precut if ya need to before cleaning the window. Leave that 1/16th" gap. At the very least make sure straight edge is at the top. Squeegee across top first. Tack down and cut edges (leave that gap) immediately then squeegee right away. Also when you scrape to clean the glass go straight in, not on an angle down the frame (causes more chips). Again spray film, not the glass. Hey it works for me! :lol When you cut too close to the frame and push water out it tends to suck in all the shiot from the frame into the film. Also when cleaning after scrape don't be afraid to flush the frame out well then wipe with paper towel then spray glass and squeegee. Good luck!! :lol6

Purchase at the local home improvement center clear acrylic (adhesive) caulking and a day or two or more before the install date go to the home, dry scrape the glass at the frame edge, brush or vacuum clean and then seal all the edges with a fine bead of clear acrylic. Make sure the acrylic gets inside between the glass surface and the frame edge. Allow 1-2 days curing before film installation.

When prepping for the install use your olfa to carefully carve the caulk parallel or flush with the frame and remove any excess. This creates an artificial dam at the frame edge, keeping old varnish or shellac from seeping under your film and keeps moisture from seeping under the wood frame.

Mask off the frame with tape, where possible...

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9004

Guest windoworx

Dirts does suck. The next time I do a transom that has 2 tons of sheetrock dust in them, I'm going to caulk it first if I can.

Did I say Transoms suck, just making sure.

imo, caulking's a nice thought and all but ok ya trade one p.I.t.a. for another, silicone. jmo I precut transoms close, factory edge on bottom, I leave maybe 1/4" to trim of for the rest, flush the shiot outta them when cleaning, squeegee, dry well, and spray the film not the glass and I almost never have an issue plus I use 8 mil (can't hide shiot under that!)

Archived