What is the best school for tinting?

Guest topedge

Guest topedge

We have a Car Audio shop in Montrose, Colorado. We are interested in expanding into automotive window tinting. We have seen a few demonstrations by llumar and solar gard at the SEMA show. Has anyone attended a tinting school you were very impressed with?

I've looked into a few week long training programs:

www.autowindowtinting.com

and

one offered by llumar (CPFilms) which is 5 days long

These seem kind of short. Does it give you enough training to get started? Are there other schools anyone would recommend.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with taking a course as long as you don't buy into the fact that you are a fully qualified tinter that can produce top quality work to charge top quality jobs for.

The second school will be the school of hard knox ...that's when you'll get better ...over time with experience...will help greatly to open your wallet and pay a good wage for a good tinter so you can pick up some tricks of the tradeyou won't learn in any course.

This would be my best advice :jerkit

Guest Readyman
The second school will be the school of hard knox ...that's when you'll get better ...over time with experience...will help greatly to open your wallet and pay a good wage for a good tinter so you can pick up some tricks of the tradeyou won't learn in any course.

:rollin

We have a Car Audio shop in Montrose, Colorado.? We are interested in expanding into automotive window tinting.? We have seen a few demonstrations by llumar and solar gard at the SEMA show.? Has anyone attended a tinting school you were very impressed with??

I've looked into a few week long training programs:

www.autowindowtinting.com

and

one offered by llumar (CPFilms) which is 5 days long

These seem kind of short.? Does it give you enough training to get started?? Are there other schools anyone would recommend.

Thanks in advance for any help!

[*]247960

Well... since I am one of the trainers for LLu's classes, I can say this:

Classes are short for a reason or two or three or four; 1) You are not learning on a paying customer's car, 2) The focus is on you and what needs be delivered to you, not the counter, phone or cash register, 3) It is a frustrating trade to learn and we don't need you pulling hair out or going postal on us 10 days into what can be taught in 5, 4) 2 or 3 days is too short to get all the info across and still leave time for you to put into practice, 5) after 5 days you'll be tired of my mug and I'll be tired of yours, 6) homesickness sets in at different rates and has an effect of attention span the further out the class goes.

LLu's class gives you the basics... they're all the same from one class to another (cleaning, cutting, installing, heat forming, troubleshooting) whether our class or theirs. No one, absolutely no one can teach or train experience, this must come from the school of hard knocks. Therefore, the claim, you can be tinting in 1, 2, 3 or whatever weeks cannot be made with any degree of certainty. They're blowing smoke up yours... as they're saying it.

I'll just tell you 4-5 days a tinter does not make...

Come... we'll teach you the basics, give you some practice on the basics and you can come away with enough knowledge to be dangerous, begin YOUR school of hard knocks or simply pass on the whole 'I wnna be a tinter' idea because you found out it wasn't your cup of tea.

Guest Key West

If you want to learn to tint, your supplier should have a course available. I know that LLu, Solar Gard, and SunGard have training available. That is only the basics tho. From there you will need hands on experience. It gets costly.

I highly reccomend you think long and hard before you send someone to school though. I have trained alot of tinters, only to have trained my competition (albeit shortlived) If you are going to tint, I suggest that YOU at least be able to tint. :uh

Archived