Clear coating problems

Guest dimambro2

Guest dimambro2

newbie to the board have done a bit of painting in the past (a car and some custom fiberglass stuff) but for some reason I just can get spraying the Clear Coat down. right now I am working on a street bike and I sprayed the clear according to the manifacture (omni Clear coat)) and I got bubbles and when I started to wet sand I ended up having white specks in the clear? plus the clear still isnt flowing smoothly at all it got alot of pits in it not orange peal but pits.

thanks

dimambro2@sbcglobal.net

Guest thetintshop
newbie to the board have done a bit of painting in the past (a car and some custom fiberglass stuff) but for some reason I just can get spraying the Clear Coat down. right now I am working on a street bike and I sprayed the clear according to the manifacture (omni Clear coat)) and I got bubbles and when I started to wet sand I ended up having white specks in the clear? plus the clear still isnt flowing smoothly at all it got alot of pits in it not orange peal but pits.

thanks

dimambro2@sbcglobal.net

[*]265157

might be your gun not atomizing the clear properly.

Guest dimambro2

well I dont understand how thats possible since I have 2 of the same and one works great for primer. and the other doesnt have any problem with base coat just the clear. if your statement is correct how do I go about fixing it? and I also get bubbles in the clear how do I stop them?

thanks

you also could check for water or oil coming from your compressor-also did you use a measuring cup or just eye ball it? Is there any chance you contaminated your basecoat? Greasy fingers? :passout It could be many things-Whatever caused the pits could re appear when you reclearcoat- Are you painting fiberglass?ss

Guest dimambro2

Thanks for all the help I think my probelm was that I wasn't putting enough clear down to "dry". but I just have a problem with orange peel now I quess I just need more practice. anyone have any tips on how to get the almost perfact clear coat with minimal sanding?

just wondering thanks again

CHris

If you spray the clear to thick between coats  without waiting long enough for flashover it will outgas causing pinholes! :twocents

[*]269666

I agree... I had a bad habit at first of laying clear down too thick at first. Had a similar problem. It must be given proper time to 'kick'

the hardener produces gas while in it's drying stages. If sprayed over too early the gas has to exit somewhere, I.e. exhaust ports,

(pits, pin holes). :shoot1

Archived