Warranties. Who should honor them?

Guest Key West

Guest Key West

For the record, I am a SolarGard dealer, and by affiliation with the 3m flat glass guy here, I also offer 3m as well. I got a call the other week, from a customer who had his car tinted at Alta Mere here in Chattanooga. I know the owner of said Alta Mere. Nice guy. He USED to carry 3m.

Customer has a reciept from Alta Mere from 98. Lifetime warranty on the 3m panther film. Massive adhesive failure (go figger :lol )He approached Alta Mere about it and was told that they no longer handled 3m and would not honor the warranty.

Am I wrong here thinking that Alta Mere needs to warranty the car? The reciept is from Alta Mere, NOT 3m. Hell, I quit using Solar Gard when Bekaert first took over, then switched back when they made a workable film again. BUT had I had a warranty issue during the time I used SunGard with a solar gard product, I feel that I sold the product, installed it, and need to stand behind it. I even used a couple rolls of Global during that time (boy are my fingers crossed :lol ) But if it ever comes back, I gotta eat it

I told the customer that in the interest of Customer service, I'd take care of him, at first acting as go between between him and Alta Mere, and that I would even replace the film with a quality Solar Gard product (His wife and Kids have new cars!) But DAMMIT I dont want to strip the car if I dont have to. I feel that Alta Mere should AT THE VERY LEAST strip the car.

I feel that we should honor the warranty, even if we no longer use the film that was originally installed. Its our name on the line.

JUST my opinion...... I COULD be wrong :lol:lol

This is an easy question IMO.

We as business owners for our own reasons hand out either a manufacturers warranty ...or our own personal warranty.

If it's the manufactuers warranty..then I would say the business doesn't have an obligation (not saying they shouldn't depending on the situation)

If it's your own personal warranty , then the business should take care of it depending on your warranty policy on your business warranty sheet.

Guest Key West
For the record, I am a SolarGard dealer, and by affiliation with the 3m flat glass guy here, I also offer 3m as well. I got a call the other week, from a customer who had his car tinted at Alta Mere here in Chattanooga. I know the owner of said Alta Mere. Nice guy. He USED to carry 3m.

Customer has a reciept from Alta Mere from 98. Lifetime warranty on the 3m panther film. Massive adhesive failure (go figger :lol )He approached Alta Mere about it and was told that they no longer handled 3m and would not honor the warranty.

Am I wrong here thinking that Alta Mere needs to warranty the car? The reciept is from Alta Mere, NOT 3m. Hell, I quit using Solar Gard when Bekaert first took over, then switched back when they made a workable film again. BUT had I had a warranty issue during the time I used SunGard with a solar gard product, I feel that I sold the product, installed it, and need to stand behind it. I even used a couple rolls of Global during that time (boy are my fingers crossed  :lol ) But if it ever comes back, I gotta eat it

I told the customer that in the interest of Customer service, I'd take care of him, at first acting as go between between him and Alta Mere, and that I would even replace the film with a quality Solar Gard product (His wife and Kids have new cars!) But DAMMIT I dont want to strip the car if I dont have to. I feel that Alta Mere should AT THE VERY LEAST strip the car.

I feel that we should honor the warranty, even if we no longer use the film that was originally installed. Its our name on the line.

JUST my opinion...... I COULD be wrong :bat  :lol

[*]269319

BTW, I ALWAYS fill out MFGRS warranty cards for the customer. complete with roll #s. saves this kind of thing from happening to my customers. If I retire, they still have a warranty. :lol But at the same time, if I get a Global come back, I can deal with them on warranty issues, not the customer. :lol
Guest atypicaldave
This is an easy question IMO.

We as business owners for our own reasons hand out either a manufacturers warranty ...or our own personal warranty.

If it's the manufactuers warranty..then I would say the business doesn't have an obligation (not saying they shouldn't depending on the situation)

If it's your  own personal warranty , then the business should take care of it depending on your warranty policy on your business warranty sheet.

[*]269322

My sentiments, too.

Although I always took on those types of jobs, since they were so few, and retinted the car at no cost to the owner. They usually recognize I was not obliged to do it and would offer some compensation. I would refuse it and tell them that their payment to me is to let other people they know what kind of service they received from my business.

Its nice of you to do that Dave-but does it really pay off? Or do you think you are just letting the other guy off the hook! I think Alte smeer should warrantee the car! Every day I hear-They will tint my car for $99--And I say you get what you pay for!! And how bout that warranty??? ss

Guest expertint

If you sell a reputable film than you have a factory warranty to give to the customer and that is better than any "shop warranty". The customer should be told that it is nationwide warranty honored by any dealer,then it is the manu's responsibility to honor it .That way the warranty is properly issued and is valid for repayment for future labor.I have very few warrantees but the ones I do have I always get reimbursed for them..Why not!! A shop near me changed owners then bak again and he switched film and is not honoring his warranties.If it is an easy redo we do it for PR purposes.If it is a hard one we can pass on doing it.This makes our co. look good and theirs look evil..Thats a good thing.

Guest expertint

You guys won't believe this but just after I wrote this a lady with a 85 300zx that we put 3m on in 1992 pulled up with her warranty and you know what the film looks like..I don't even know who to send this warranty to but we're getting er done...13 yr old 3m car film..not a pretty sight..gotta practice what we preach.

Archived