Anyone Tinted These?

Guest Riddler

Guest Riddler

I had a repeat customer call today asking me about doing more work on their home. One of the windows mentioned was a glass block window. I told her it might be able to be done but I'd have to look at it first.

Anyone actually tint this type of window before? :beer

Guest pmuzik

bid a job for 400 or so glass blocks once didn't get it though must have been TOO much :bat someone here did say they were cautioned about them exploding fron heat build uo :bat about that but I was gonna do it anyway some glass block windows are actually plastic though.

Guest TintPoser
I had a repeat customer call today asking me about doing more work on their home. One of the windows mentioned was a glass block window. I told her it might be able to be done but I'd have to look at it first.

Anyone actually tint this type of window before? :bat

[*]270171

I did 64 of them with a transparent vinyl. the vinyl flexed enough to cover them smoothly. I could not have done them with a tint.

Do they want heat rejection or privacy.

if you use something for color change or privacy, make sure it is a vinyl, not polyester.

Guest Riddler

Thanks for the posts, fellas. I'm going over to the home today to evaluate them. The customer mentioned that there was too much glare from the glass block window.

Depending the size, we will measure the entire opening exactly and have a piece of 3/16 glass cut and tempered. We then film one side of the glass and mount it over the glass block using 2 sided tape and caulking for a good seal and a couple of plastic mirror clips screwed in to ensure that it will stay in place. At the top, we do leave a tiny gap in the sealant so the unit can breath, but not allow any contaminants in between the block and the glass overlay.

Sounds complicated, but is very simple.

Charge good $$$$$ for this as well.

Guest TintPoser
Depending the size, we will measure the entire opening exactly and have a piece of 3/16 glass cut and tempered. We then film one side of the glass and mount it over the glass block using 2 sided tape and caulking for a good seal and a couple of plastic mirror clips screwed in to ensure that it will stay in place. At the top, we do leave a tiny gap in the sealant so the unit can breath, but not allow any contaminants in between the block and the glass overlay.

Sounds complicated, but is very simple.

Charge good $$$$$ for this as well.

[*]270522

I always recomend this. (Not exactly withh the caulking) Never had anyone do it yet

Guest Riddler

I went by and checked on this window. The blocks are plastic and there are 99 of them measuring 5 1/2" X 5 1/2" each :hmmm The problem is the window is located above the garden tub on one side of the master bathroom but the glare from this shines directly onto the ladies porition of the vanity mirror on the opposite wall, making it useless to use when the sun is out. It sounds like the advice that jnf offered is the only real option here.

Thanks again for everyone's input :eyebrows

Archived