Method of Cleaning windows down + Tools

Guest chip01

Guest chip01

Can you guys discuss your techniques that you use for cleaning windows prior to installation including the tools you are using. I am suffering from lots of contamination and I think it is from this stage of the process.

Guest atypicaldave

Prepping glass surfaces is pretty straight forward; spray cleaning agent, scrape or scrub, squeegee with a soft squeegee blade and flush or wipe edges. :linedrink

Consider all these factors put together by a few members in another thread, too:

1. Find a bug zapper that will work on gnats... and other critters.

2. Minimize the time between peeling the liner and placing the film onto the glass...

3. Do not walk forward with your peeled pattern, step backwards, this way you are not using your peeled film as a catch net for airborne contaminants...

4. Cut a white Teflon into a triangle, wrap it with a micro-fiber cloth, jam it between glass and frame and wipe those crevices (window glass channels) clean...

5. Wipe off the top ledge of the roll down glass...

6. If you use a pressure sprayer with a hose, put an inline gas filter between bottle and trigger...

7. Air handling unit (ac/heat)? Filter at intake and output...

8. Never, never, absolutely never where sweaters when installing film...

9. Rinse your fingers before handling film and rub them together while rinsing...

10. Learn to carry the peeled film without touching adhesive or learn to carry with fingertips, not finger palms...

11. Seal and Enamel the floor, if it is concrete...

12. Cover sheepskin type seat covers with bed sheets...

13. Improve your targeting skills to minimize pattern movement after it hits the glass...

14. Be cautious of your head/hair rubbing headliners when entering a vehicle...

15. Lightly mist cloth seats with application solution prior to sitting or kneeling on them...

16. Always squeegee off your glass board (workstation) before or after each pattern is placed upon it...

17. Tape off all felt?

18. Lightly mist the liner's surface prior to its removal from a film pattern... this helps neutralize any static created as the liner is peeled from the adhesive...

19. Rinse all your tools regularly...

20. How old is the car, the newer it is, the less dirt contamination problems you will have?

21. What kind of sprayer are you using? If it's a pump sprayer, the cylinder starts wearing and will emit tiny particles of plastic in your water. Making it look like dirt specks.

22. The use of the vehicle, if it's one that sees a dirt road every single day, you will have dust problems no matter how old the car is.

23. Do not have fans running in your bay? If so, turn them off, the more still it is, the better chance you'll have of a clean install.

24. Wet the floor before each job, where possible.

25. NEVER sweep your shop out, wash it out. Sweeping sends dust in the air and lands on everything.

26. Clean your shop bay--EVERY SINGLE DAY.

27. There's a reason why a lot of tint bays look "empty", the more stuff you have lying around, the more stuff that collects dust.

28. Don't wear new clothes to work in. (ever see how much lint is in your dryer when you wash new clothes?)

29. Lotion your skin on a daily basis. Your skin flakes regularly, using lotion on your exposed skin areas helps keep flaking at a minimum.

30. Limit the use of hair gel. Some hair gels flake off when dry. A wax stick or hairspray, or wear a clean cap or just shave your head are options to consider.

31. Consider buying bottled water or install reverse osmosis filtering.

32. Clean your water bottles every time you refill them.

33. Don't use cheap paper towels. Buy the expensive ones that are lint free or use the Scott?s blue shop towels.

34. Spray the car off before you pull it in the bay, where and when possible or ask the client to deliver it clean.

When I go into a home to tint it.... I don't tell the customer:

to remove their hair gel

take off their sweaters

seal the floor

cover the furniture

turn off heating or a/c

or cover themselves (and me) in lotion

I will occasionally ask for bottled water though :linedrink

but we're talkin cars aren't we :linedrink

When I go into a home to tint it.... I don't tell the customer:

to remove their hair gel

take off their sweaters

seal the floor

cover the furniture

turn off heating or a/c

or cover themselves (and me) in lotion

I will occasionally ask for bottled water though  :linedrink

but we're talkin cars aren't we  :linedrink

[*]270561

:linedrink:linedrink

Can you guys discuss your techniques that you use for cleaning windows prior to installation including the tools you are using. I am suffering from lots of contamination and I think it is from this stage of the process.

[*]270526

The best thing you can do is continue at it...we all do things different. What works for atypicaltinter doesn't work for others. I scrape, scrub, and squeegee...then minimize the distance between the peeler and the window. :linedrink

Archived