Taking off the tint

My Webpage

Are your windows legal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lifestyle | Article

Traffic officers in Peterborough are issuing a warning to drivers who have had their car windows tinted - you could be breaking the law.

Over the past month, traffic officers from Thorpe Wood Police Station have been stopping vehicles with tinted windows to measure the amount of light they let in.

Up to 15 drivers a day are having their tinted windows checked to see if the level of light they let in reaches the legal minimum. Many of the vehicles stopped have been found to have glass below the required limit.

PC Andy Coop, has been conducting the stop-checks, he said: "An increasing number of tinted windows, supplied by vehicle manufacturers and fitted by other companies, have been found to be below the legal limit.

"Many of the drivers we have stopped were not aware they were breaking the law. Those who were found to have !llegal window tints have been offered scrapers to remove the tint at the roadside as an alternative to prosecution.

"However, some drivers have been prosecuted and in more serious cases, their vehicle banned from the road until the fault is rectified."

PC Paul Stubbings, Casualty Reduction Officer, said: "It is not only about conforming to traffic law.

"Excessively tinted glass can also affect road safety. It restricts the driver's vision, especially in dark conditions or bad weather. It also prevents other road users and pedestrians from confirming, through eye contact, that they have been seen."

The Tintman device measures the amount of light transmitted into a vehicle and records the opacity of the glass. Windscreens on vehicles first used before April 1985 must let in 70 percent of light to stay legal. That figure rises to 75 percent for vehicles issued after that date. Front-side windows on all vehicles are required to let in 70 percent of light.

For further information or a demonstration of the Tintman device, contact PC Coop at Thorpe Wood Police Station on 0845 456 456 4.

November 2004

Buddy H

A The legislation regarding tinted windows is covered by the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations of 1986.

Basically, it allows you to have tints on your windows as follows:-

Front Windscreen - 25% tint

Drivers window and Front Passengers window - 30% tint

All other windows - Unlimited

Common sense should prevail and if you have to roll down your window at night because you can't see through the tint, then there is an obvious road safety issue which has to be addressed.

Finally, if you are in any doubt as to the legality of the tint on your windows, please contact the Traffic department at Livingston Police station and we will be happy to test them for you.

My Webpage

Guest Mrs RJE
Basically, it allows you to have tints on your windows as follows:-

Front Windscreen - 25% tint

Drivers window and Front Passengers window - 30% tint

All other windows - Unlimited

Common sense should prevail and if you have to roll down your window at night because you can't see through the tint, then there is an obvious road safety issue which has to be addressed.

Finally, if you are in any doubt as to the legality of the tint on your windows, please contact the Traffic department at Livingston Police station and we will be happy to test them for you.

My Webpage

[*]271039

This kind of statment is very misleading to our customers as they tell the customers that firstly they can tint their front windscreen up to 25%, and secondly that their driver and passenger windows can have 30% tint on them. :spank

It is no wonder that so many hack shops have opened up in the UK offering darker than legal tint to customers who don't understand the legislation.

If people are going to make statements regarding the legality of window tint they should explain exactly what the legislation says, and that the darkest the film and window together should be is 70%.

Leo, I realise that you are trying to make it easy for the British public to understand, but unless you clearly state that 30% film DOES NOT equal 70%VLT they will want the 30% !llegal film.

:angel

Lisa, at this moment I am looking for YOUNG, AGRESSIVE LAWYER who will work with me this direction. I know more than million points why this laws ARE !llegal. THEY ARE 100% NON CORRECT. But I have NO TIME FOR THIS JOB - I think sooner or later I will find lawyer and will do job, which MUST BE DONE by al this ....FA's.

Guest signandtint

30% film DOES NOT equal 70%VLT they will want the 30% !llegal film.

that in a nutshell sums it up perfectly!

as the current legislation stands, we have to abide by it or sooner or later they, the authorities, are going to come down hard on someone fitting film to the fronts.

as you say mrs rje, sadly most people setting out tinting are telling customers they can have 30% tint LEGALLY fitted to the fronts becos they understand it to mean 70% deducted from 100% leaves 30% tint???

we are just sitting back down here in brum waiting for the walls to come crumbling down for these guys who think its just a case of tinting any shade and no one will get done.

good reply mrs rje :spank

People! In reality ALL NEW CARS ARE FACTORY TINTED ACCORDING NEW LAWS. ANY FILM INSTALLED ON THIS GLASS (ALSO CLEAR - VLT of clear 80-90%) - !llegal. But we must :spank:angel:nope

FOR:

1. NORMAL LAWS.

2. OUR RIGHTS.

3. OUR CUSTOMER RIGHTS.

After we joined EU and got this !llegal LAWZ (now other word - !llegal) - I EXPLAIN TO MY CUSTOMER - ANY FILM ON FRONT&DRIVER GLASS !llegal. ANY!!!!

Guest Mrs RJE

Leo, we know exactly what you're saying - it's all EU legislation :shoot1

The :shoot1 in our area are really going for anything with the fronts looking even slightly tinted, and stopping them.

We heard from a customer who got his Landrover tinted with 54% before the legislation came into effect last year. His wife was out alone with the kids (a 3yr old and a 5 yr old) one evening during the cold snap earlier this month. The :twocents stopped her and would not allow her to drive the vehicle home. They made her walk approx 1 mile to find a taxi with her kids in toe.

If that is not abusing their authority to get the point across, I do not know what is. :shoot1

Leo, we know exactly what you're saying - it's all EU legislation  :DD

The  :beer  in our area are really going for anything with the fronts looking even slightly tinted, and stopping them.

We heard from a customer who got his Landrover tinted  with 54% before the legislation came into effect last year. His wife was out alone with the kids (a 3yr old and a 5 yr old) one evening during the cold snap earlier this month. The  :lol  stopped her and would not allow her to drive the vehicle home. They made her walk approx 1 mile to find a taxi with her kids in toe.

If that is not abusing their authority to get the point across, I do not know what is. :rock

[*]271131

That's why I will fight with !llegal TINT LAW. NOWHERE in THIS LAW TOLD, for EXAMPLE 30% FROM WHAT POINT?

:dunno use meter? O.K. Do they know that meter show CORRECT RESULT ONLY IN SPECIFIC CONDITIONS IN LAB? DO THEY HAVE SUCH CONDITIONS ON THE STREET? As I told You I have many other reasons, which I can't explain. Telling again - SAD THAT PEOPLE WHO SELL YOU A FILMS SIMPLY LOOKING HOW LAW :DD THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Archived