bit of a shrink problem???

Guest fimmo

Guest fimmo

been doing dry shrink for a year now and I can pretty much do any window apart from the newest style clio anyway...

I use suntek standard charcoal and have been for about 6 months now after giving up johnsons and over the last 6 weeks I've noticed a new problem, when I dry shrink I use baby powder,very lightly spread over the glass and to lock it down I use a horizontal wet stripe right along the middle of the glass,I used to use the 'H' lock down but changed to the line along the middle only, and now when I shrink I get lines that go from the left to the right and towards the centre go closer to the out side edge, for example when looking at the shrunk film it's like its smiling at me and has frowns as well, hope you's all know what I mean??

when shrunk I always wet check to see if its ok, it always is apart from the odd little finger here and there but I notice ,again,only recently, there is a bit of tension in the film and when I try to install it it try's to 'flip' back off the glass??

this is getting annoying because it seems as though every window I do no matter how curved is now giving me problems??

and when I try to fit it inside the glass,when I squuegee the water out the film try's to flip/pop back off??

any ideas on whats going on?? the temp in my unit is stable,I'm using the same tools,etc the same baby shampoo to install the film and I'm shrinking in the same way I've been doing all year?? with no extra heat or going any faster or slower?? :popcorn

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shrinking too much of the film and/or too much heat,  make your lock down stripe wider for smaller fingers; thinner for bigger fingers.

[*]274109

The placment of your middle stripe doesn't always need to be in the

center across the glass. Sometimes it helps to have a little higher or lower depending on the curve of the glass.

I shrink a line across, then move up or down in horizontal lines across the glass working it to the bottom or top.

When I get the "smiley" lines, I try to move the extra material up or down before continuing to shrink, most of the time I get them to work out flat. I have found that even with some smilies the film still installs well. Also cutting down on your "slip" or soap mix may help.

They say that film will only shrink in the "machine direction" about 5%, after that you are just burning film.

Also... try dry shrinking using the soap method, it works best for me. Good luck!:popcorn

Guest ninjatinter

It sounds to me like you have a bogus roll of film. has this all happened with the same roll? I think you just have a bogus roll fer sure. Does it almost fall off the peel board?( if you use one) This happened to me a couple of times. :popcorn

Guest Total tint

well the suntek standard is way thinner than johnsons try using the carbon its thicker but anyway your putting way to much heat on ityou need to go faster suntek is one of the fastest shrinking films out there , try backing up on the distance also until you get a feel for how it shrinks

Guest Total tint
It sounds to me like you have a bogus roll of film.  has this all happened with the same roll? I think you just have a bogus roll fer sure. Does it almost fall off the peel board?( if you use one) This happened to me a couple of times.  :popcorn

[*]274132

:shower

It sounds to me like you have a bogus roll of film.  has this all happened with the same roll? I think you just have a bogus roll fer sure. Does it almost fall off the peel board?( if you use one) This happened to me a couple of times.  :popcorn

[*]274132

its nice to have an excuse every once in a while.

Archived