My windows are now.... very, very hot!

Guest nocalhomeowner

Guest nocalhomeowner

It looks like what you are saying is that I should go with a film which can't be self-installed and instead has to be purchased from a dealer. Do I have that right?

I note that the Madico website does not have specifications for its Sunscape Select line. It merely states that it can "significantly reduce solar heat gain". (In addition to the fact that a couple of the internal links are broken.)

Sorry, that doesn't give me any information to chew on. Did I just miss it?

Huper Optik does a little better, but the specs they list are identical to the specs on the box of the GILA film. [70% reduction in solar heat; 99% reduction in UV].

I have no idea who XXXX is? <smile> (I assume you meant to fill that in before you sent it off to post. Oh, well.)

Can anybody point me to something that can help me convince MY WIFE that what we already have should be returned and instead we should have the rest of the windows professionally installed with a specific product?

Since asthetics and safety issues aren't paramount, I find it hard to believe that anything will beat the GILA price point (about $1.00/squarefoot). Longevity isn't a major concern either. Everybody moves every 2 or 3 years in Northern California, right? <g> And even that brand should last significantly longer than 2 years.

While it would be nice to have the film be non-reflective on the inside at night, it isn't worth quadruple the price.

I guess I'm feeling that if a homeowner is capable of cleaning, measuring, cutting, wetting [with the properly mixed solution], applying, adjusting, cutting the edges, wetting (again) and squeegeeing [all without getting any creases in the film] that self-installation is the best option. And if self-installation is the goal, then it looks like neither of the brands you mentioned above is an option. Does that mean that GILA is as good as it gets when it comes to self-installation?

Thanks

George

One thing with window film and heat rejection....there's a certain amount of heat reflected back off the glass, a certain amount that makes it through the film, and a certain amount absorbed ON the glass. Any film is going to make the glass itself hotter than it was before. The less reflective the film the more it's going to absorb heat on the glass. If you drop a blind there then the heat on the glass will radiate between the glass and blind making the glass even hotter still.

No matter what....the house will stay cooler with the film. Plus the added benefit of UV protection and glare reduction.

Guest tintgod
One thing with window film and heat rejection....there's a certain amount of heat reflected back off the glass,  a certain amount that makes it through the film, and a certain amount absorbed ON the glass.  Any film is going to make the glass itself hotter than it was before.  The less reflective the film the more it's going to absorb heat on the glass.  If you drop a blind there then the heat on the glass will radiate between the glass and blind making the glass even hotter still. 

No matter what....the house will stay cooler with the film.  Plus the added benefit of UV protection and glare reduction.

[*]289962

COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTE MYSELF.. :twocents

The less reflective the film the more it's going to absorb heat on the glass. 

This statement isn't entirely accurate...all films vary in their amount of heat absorption.

I was thinking along the lines...Silver 20 will have less heat absorption than say a Stainless Steel 20 or N1020.

what this consumer is concerned about is the pricing if he were go with a professional installer, he rather do the work himself, I suggest that if all possible find someone (dealer) that is willing to sell you just the film for whatever windows you need film on, and have it done yourself, but I recommend and in the long run you save money by having someone do it for you...... :twocents

Guest nocalhomeowner

I'm sure you are right that for most people they will save money in the long run by having it professionally installed. I guess I don't think I'm typical. :twocents However, if somebody wants to explain to me why I would save money over self-installation, I'm all ears. (Well, eyes, actually. :twocents )

I went to the Gilafilms website and found the following technical data for Platinum:

LT UV% SC EMIS TSER U Value

27 98-99 0.33 0.44 73 0.76

Where:

LT = Light Transmission (27 is pretty dark, 49 is what shows up on their "light" version)

UV% = Percentage of UV blocked

SC = Shading Coefficient (theoretically, anything less than 0.50 is "endorsed" by utility companies)

EMIS = Emissivity - The lower the number, the better the insulation properties.

TSER = Total Solar Energy Rejection - The higher the number, the more solar energy is rejected

UValue = Heat transfer - the lower the value, the less heat is transferred from from one side to the other

I couldn't find equivalent numbers for any other product. Maybe I just didn't look in the right places.

Does anybody know where I can find these figures for any of the products already mentioned?

Thanks

George

Guest nocalhomeowner
Sure.

Give me your email address and I'll email you all the specs I can find.  Save some space on the board.

[*]290054

Truth be told, my momma always told me that what starts on a board, stays on a board, unless it is proprietary. So, if you feel comfortable posting it on the board, great. If not, such is life.

Appreciate the offer, though.

If it is merely a formatting thing, let me know and I'll shoot you my email. Once I get it, though, I'll post it here.

Take care,

George

Guest shattered

Gila is a diy film. The perfomance of the film is respectable & if you are happy with the install it sounds like a no brainer to me. Go get yourself a heap of Gile and finish your house. :nope