My windows are now.... very, very hot!

Guest nocalhomeowner

Guest TintPoser
It looks like what you are saying is that I should go with a film which can't be self-installed and instead has to be purchased from a dealer.  Do I have that right?

I note that the Madico website does not have specifications for its Sunscape Select line.  It merely states that it can "significantly reduce solar heat gain". (In addition to the fact that a couple of the internal links are broken.)

Sorry, that doesn't give me any information to chew on.  Did I just miss it?

Huper Optik does a little better, but the specs they list are identical to the specs on the box of the GILA film. [70% reduction in solar heat; 99% reduction in UV].

I have no idea who XXXX is? <smile> (I assume you meant to fill that in before you sent it off to post.  Oh, well.)

Can anybody point me to something that can help me convince MY WIFE that what we already have should be returned and instead we should have the rest of the windows professionally installed with a specific product?

Since asthetics and safety issues aren't paramount, I find it hard to believe that anything will beat the GILA price point (about $1.00/squarefoot).  Longevity isn't a major concern either.  Everybody moves every 2 or 3 years in Northern California, right? <g>  And even that brand should last significantly longer than 2 years.

While it would be nice to have the film be non-reflective on the inside at night, it isn't worth quadruple the price.

I guess I'm feeling that if a homeowner is capable of cleaning, measuring, cutting, wetting [with the properly mixed solution], applying, adjusting, cutting the edges, wetting (again) and squeegeeing [all without getting any creases in the film] that self-installation is the best option.  And if self-installation is the goal, then it looks like neither of the brands you mentioned above is an option.  Does that mean that GILA is as good as it gets when it comes to self-installation?

Thanks

George

[*]289956

To give you an idea about the quality difference of the film alone.... what you pay for a roll fo the DIY film, packaged, marketed, instructions inserted, the lost cost of returning the product to the store in unuseable condition, and the fact that they are slitting their own dealerrs throats........ is about what the professional pays for the professional grade film. There is no warranty with the DIY, and once you see film done properly, you will always hate something about your installation. The cost to have a professional come out and do the job will pay for itself ini a relatively short amount of time when using a verry aggressive film. The DIY film will fall off the glass, demetalize, bubble and fade right about the time the professional installation is ,aking you money in lower electricity bills. Honestly, I co not know why CP films markets Gila. All this product has done is made tinting look like some backyard red neck garbage.

Since asthetics and safety issues aren't paramount, I find it hard to believe that anything will beat the GILA price point (about $1.00/squarefoot).  Longevity isn't a major concern either.  Everybody moves every 2 or 3 years in Northern California, right? <g>  And even that brand should last significantly longer than 2 years.

First off... you can afford to live in northern cali, and you can't get the moey to tint professionaly,......... shame on you ( I am just kidding,)

Nothing sells a home like some DIY film on the glass. When done professionaly and properly, you will not ever know that a quality film was there.

Huper Optik does a little better, but the specs they list are identical to the specs on the box of the GILA film. [70% reduction in solar heat; 99% reduction in UV].

The big difference is one looks like SH*T on toast, the other dowsn't look like much at all. The spcek you are missing is VLT and VLR

It always kills me when a PROSPECT says that they don't want dark and shiny, then go to the depot for some gila.

You can get the sunscape select SL-180 (8% visble light transmission, 83% total solar rejection, 23% interior reflection, and some insane amount of glare control) for a reasonable price. This film is one of the most aggressive films and safe for doublepane glass. It is warrantied for just abouut everything, Including change in color. The time it will take you to decide on doing it yourself, buying the film, buying the tools, messing up once or twice, then regretting the fact that you did it, you could go to Micky D's, get a job and earn enough money to get it done properly.

As far as madico's website being non functional and cumbersome, you hahve to forgive them, they are a multi-billion dollar company that hasn't caught on the the whole internet thing. I am just glad their distributors have their stuff together. For more information, call the professional madico dealer in your area.

I only thing I have to ad to this absurd thread is that the Madico specs are listed under the SPECS on the main menu.

And mr homeowner, keep in mind that there two, I mean, a few on here that are just here to confuse people.... The gila film is working, it will make your home a whole lot cooler. Yes there are better quality films out there with better preformance. Your home, your call.

As far as madico's website being non functional and cumbersome, you hahve to forgive them, they are a multi-billion dollar company that hasn't caught on the the whole internet thing.

:uh

[*]290140

To be fair..Most of the manufacturers sites kinda suck.  :nope

[*]290142

oh man :wall

Guest nocalhomeowner
I only thing I have to ad to this absurd thread is that the Madico specs are listed under the SPECS on the main menu. 

And mr homeowner, keep in mind that there two, I mean, a few on here that are just here to confuse people....  The gila film is working, it will make your home a whole lot cooler.  Yes there are better quality films out there with better preformance.  Your home, your call.

[*]290119

I sure don't understand why it is an absurd thread.

I'm trying to collect enough information so that I can make an intelligent decision.

If that bothers you, don't participate.

I do recognize that I'm somewhat of a detail oriented individual (where is the emoticon for :understatement_of_the_year?). And that definitely bothers some people. But if you can keep your head about you without devolving into mudslinging (like calling this thread absurd or implying that I might have put the film on the outside of the window) I'd certainly appreciate it.

I just won't be swayed by comparisons which are based on phrases like "better quality" and "better performance". I need numbers and I need to understand what those numbers represent and then make a judgement as to what that specific item means to me. If my pursuit of that information is "absurd", then I apologize for wasting everybody's time here.

From my perspective, I'm getting a lot of very good information, and for that I'm most appreciative. I may use it on this house I just moved into. I may use it on a house I'm likely to have built in the near future.

But *I* don't consider it absurd in the slightest and I'm sorry you do.

Take care,

George

Guest nocalhomeowner
To give you an idea about the quality difference of the film alone.... what you pay for a roll fo the DIY film, packaged, marketed, instructions inserted, the lost cost of returning the product to the store in unuseable condition, and the fact that they are slitting their own dealerrs throats........ is about what the professional pays for the professional grade film. There is no warranty with the DIY, and once you see film done properly, you will always hate something about your installation. The cost to have a professional come out and do the job will pay for itself ini a relatively short amount of time when using a verry aggressive film. The DIY film will fall off the glass, demetalize, bubble and fade right about the time the professional installation is ,aking you money in lower electricity bills. Honestly, I co not know why CP films markets Gila. All this product has done is made tinting look like some backyard red neck garbage.

Strong message to follow? Seriously, I appreciate the information. Any estimate as to when the DIY will "fall off the glass, demetalize, bubble and fade"? Or is it a percentage thing in that it varies with climate and exposure?

I'm willing to put some numbers out there to see if it makes a difference in the analysis. Assume that there are 8 window surfaces in the home to be tinted. 4 panes which are 52sf, one each of 40sf, 24sf, 15sf and 12sf for a total of just about exactly 300 sf. These are the only windows in the house that are not naturally shaded from the sun by things such as trees and overhangs. Using the GILA, the cost of materials is about $300. The key heat reduction factor, as far as I can tell is the shading coefficient, which is 0.33 for the GILA. Assuming energy consumption for air conditioning/heating results in bills of $150/month during the summer before installation and $60/month during the winter before installation, what can be expected after installation? My guess is that a reduction of no more than 20% can be expected. Is that a fair estimate? I know this is all pretty much pie in the sky. Anyway, that is a cost savings of about $30/month for about 5 months of the year, maybe about $12/month for the rest of the year. Total yearly savings of about $235/year.

Assuming the above, installing the Sunscape Select SL-180, which has a shading coefficient of 0.19, which implies that it is 21% more efficient (a 67% reduction versus an 81% reduction; 0r, roughly, .67 * 1.2 = .81) then the additional savings are about $45/year.

Am I even in the ballpark?

Is that a fair estimate to use when comparing the cost savings between professional and diy?

The spcek you are missing is VLT and VLR

I'd love to know what those initials stand for.

It always kills me when a PROSPECT says that they don't want dark and shiny, then go to the depot for some gila.

Did I say that? I said I don't want opaque during the day and that I've reconciled to "shiny" at night. The GILA is up on one window and it is far from dark during the day.

You can get the sunscape select SL-180 (8% visble light transmission, 83% total solar rejection, 23% interior reflection, and some insane amount of glare control) for a reasonable price. This film is one of the most aggressive films and safe for doublepane glass. It is warrantied for just abouut everything, Including change in color. The time it will take you to decide on doing it yourself, buying the film, buying the tools, messing up once or twice, then regretting the fact that you did it, you could go to Micky D's, get a job and earn enough money to get it done properly.

Again with the "stuff". We have put up precisely one pane. It is 4 x 6.5. It is edged properly and I will invite you over and defy you to define it as "messing up". Why do you assume that a homeowner is a bumpkin and/or a boob, can't read, and is incapable of doing something right the first time? I have done a number of projects like this and I have never "messed up once or twice". I know I probably shouldn't be venting like this, but would you just give this sort of stuff a rest? Please? Pretty please?

Anyway, if you are still with me, thanks for the effort. It is appreciated.

Take care,

George

Guest shattered
VLT and VLR

I'd love to know what those initials stand for.

Anyway, if you are still with me, thanks for the effort. It is appreciated.

Take care,

George

[*]290210

visible light transmission, visilbe light reflectance

:lol

George still here by the way again if you are happy move on! The number are good for this film. Is it going to last as long as the highend films :lol But if it looks good to you and it suits your needs :beer Be proud of yourself for taking a diy job and making it a success

Guest windoworx

A good barometer for the quality of work one does is to ask yourself, if someone else did that job, would they deserve the money they are charging.

Tinter's tend to be 4|\|4L retentive perfectionists. If it isn't perfect, it get ripped off and done over. They must get an A+ for every job.

Step back 10 feet and look outside. You're the one that has to look at it. If you are happy, leave it at that.

FWIW, the department at Home Depot that sell Gila Films told me that 1/2 the people that buy the film ask for a referral to have it installed professionally after they mess it up. It's a win win. They sell film, I get a referral.