Question regarding Lumar & back glass

Guest klei3354

Guest klei3354

I've been reading these forums for over a year. I just got my car tinted yesterday and I have two questions for the pros.

1) The tintshop told me that they use Lumar. I paid $--- for the 4 side windows, plus back glass. It's a 2004 Impala. They have a good reputation and I live slightly north of NYC so that's why it is more expensive. Anyway...I didn't get any kind of warranty card. It says lifetime warranty on my sales slip, but it doesn't even state Lumar there. Should I get a Lumar warranty card?

2) On the back glass...there are at least 3 very small areas where the tint isn't all the way down against the window. It's around the defroster/antenna area, and one at the very bottom near where the glass meets the shelf? Am I being too picky? Is this a very tough back glass to get perfect? I think I might bring it back just to see what they say. You can't see it from 5-10 feet away, but if you get close to the trunk you can see it. I compared it to my co-workers back glass and theirs are all perfect. It's just one of those little things that bugs me, but I can deal with it if it is normal.

I really appreciate your responses. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shattered

Did one yesterday Take it back and have them fix it. Should be able to fix it on the spot. while you wait. Not a big deal at all no worries easy fix. :beer

Guest Marco

I wouldn't warranty a lifetime film if the reciept didn't have the roll number and film that was used. I'm sure most others wouldn't either, how should we know what was really used? Go back and ask for the warranty card or have them put on the reciept what was used.

Guest klei3354

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm also moving about 6 hours away next month so I want to make sure I"m covered incase anything happens. I really appreciate the info. Thanks again!

Guest klei3354

Okay guys this is really bothering me. I just called the shop.

I asked them about the warranty card and they said that they have never heard of that. They said it is a lifetime warranty through the shop, not the film manufacturer. I specifically told him that I've seen people with warranty cards from the manufacturer stating the type of film and the lot #. He told me that they don't do that, it's through the shop and if I ever have a problem I have to go to the shop. I told him I'm moving 6 hours away, and he pretty much told me I was out of luck but he would talk to the owner. Does this make sense at all?

Second issue was the slight bubbling. He told me it was because of the heat yesterday and that causes problems. It was 90 something yesterday so if that caused the problems I don't know. They don't have very convenient hours. The next day I have off is Tuesday, so it'll be almost a week. He said I can just bring it in and they will fix it. Do you see it being a problem that I have to wait 6 days?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Alot of shops are too lazy or understaffed or whatever to fill out the factory warranty card .Like Marco said-you really dont have a warranty without it!Llumar offers warranty cards free to the shop so they should use them! Some people think they are not important -but I've been in one location for 18 years and I know for a fact that they are important! They protect the customer -and the shop from doing warranty jobs that they wont get paid anything for! Without it all you have is the shops word that they will be there and will fix yourcar for a lifetime! Not likely! ss

Guest klei3354

So if this shop used Llumar, they should be getting free warranty cards from Llumar. So it sounds to me like they should be giving these out and actually want to give them out as it shows they are legit. I'm getting a bad feeling that they probably didn't use Llumar and that's why they don't give the cards out.

We use an in house warranty. Mr P has been in business for 20yrs. However, if a customer wants a manf. warranty card I will definately give them one. I can honestly say we may warranty 1 or 2 windows a year. And I believe we have only warrantied a full car a couple of time in 20yrs. We have been in business longer than most film manf. so which warranty is better :dunno

Guest klei3354
We use an in house warranty.  Mr P has been in business for 20yrs.  However, if a customer wants a manf. warranty card I will definately give them one.  I can honestly say we may warranty 1 or 2 windows a year.  And I believe we have only warrantied a full car a couple of time in 20yrs.  We have been in business longer than most film manf.  so which warranty is better :dunno

[*]290315

I hear what you're saying....but I'm moving 60 hours away...from NYC to Buffalo. If I have any problems I can't drive 6 hours just to get my tint fixed. They also kind of gave me an attitude as if I was nuts. I felt like one of the nutty customers you guys complain about...but I thought it was standard to get a warranty card.

We use an in house warranty.  Mr P has been in business for 20yrs.  However, if a customer wants a manf. warranty card I will definately give them one.  I can honestly say we may warranty 1 or 2 windows a year.  And I believe we have only warrantied a full car a couple of time in 20yrs.  We have been in business longer than most film manf.  so which warranty is better :dunno

[*]290315

I've been around a while myself-and I will usually warranty my customers cars even if they dont have a manufactures warranty card but theres been 6 shops open and close here since 1986-Those customers are screwed! They pay for stripping and retinting!Unless they happen to have a llumar card and reciept-which is yet to happen! TTC and Mr.P are one of the few!I know there are others who would also take care of their customers but I dont think it is the norm! :dunno In defense of the shop you are dealing with-I dont have a clue how they operate! Good Luck! ss

Archived