Some quick questions

20+ yr Auto Tinter but I've just started doing a fair amount of Flat Glass installation. I?m only doing the labor some else is selling the product (I?m not sure if they know what there selling).

I have a few questions regarding installations:

1. I use a five way tool for trimming the edges I leave a light gap about 1/8" or less they look fine no complaints. I did a job at an office and was very easy to cut leaving no gap so that?s how I trimmed it. Another tinter told me that 'I must leave a gap to allow heat to escape' sounded like BS to me. Had to trim about 8 panels with a five way .

Is there any truth to this? using N1035B (bronze) on thermal units

2. A guy sold two skylights in a woman?s bathroom. She asked for something to protect against fading of the wallpaper. Again thermal pane units. He sold her R35. Won?t this film make the skylights look like mirrors at night when the indoor lighting is on? And the sales guy says that this is the only film that can be installed on skylights safely. Would n1040 cause a failure on a skylight?

I have a few question regarding sales:

1. I need get an idea of what to sell in order to properly accommodate the customer. Can anyone give me a 'rule of thumb' to follow when a customer asks for:

Maximum Heat rejection (ex. office gets direct sunlight 6+ hrs a day, had blinds installed that didn?t work) my guess a silver film like R20 R35

Fade reduction (ex. customer had expensive red carpeting installed doesn?t want color to fade out) my guess something like n1040 or n1035b

Glare reduction (ex. Trying to see a computer screen better in daylight or a TV better) my guess the darker the better? and would a frosted film do anything for glare

And shouldn?t I be able to call someone with job specs (glass size, type, exposure film type) and find out yes or no regarding glass failure.

Thankx in advance

Guest shattered

I daylight install most everything I do

R35 on skylight will be fairly reflective at night Need to know what kind of glass it is for futher input

Now this is a list I put together for the home show I had some helper who didnt know :beer about film but could sell. Gave them a crach course on film and this sheet and they did as good as can be expected. This is for LLumar films

If the customer wants film for:

Heat Gain Reduction ? solar energy rejected

The higher the TSER the better the performance!

R20, N1020B, R35, DR15, N1035B, R50 DR35, N1050B, N1040, N1050, N1065

Glare reduction ? visible light transmission

The lower the VLT the better the performance!

DR15, R20, N1020B, R35, DR35, N1035B, N1040, R50, N1050, N1050B, N1065

Privacy ? visible light transmission & reflectance

The lower the better!

R20, DR15, N1020B, R35, N1035B, DR35

Insulation - emissivity

The lower the emissivity the better performance!

DR35, DR15, N1020B, N1035B, R20, N1050B, R35, R50, N1040, N1050, N1065

Fade Reduction ? UV rejection

All films reject 99% of UVA and UVB rays!!

For best results, factor in TSER the higher the better.

Aesthetics

This is customer?s choice by preference of color.

If the customer wants to keep the heat gain in the winter, show him the neutral line. These films offer a fair trade off.

:beer

Guest VOLTRON

you can get the chart from your distributor. film to glass recomendation chart.

as far as the light gap of 1/8 that is fine as well. I use the 5 way for most everything. But when doing commercial installs with very dark film the light gap is more noticable so I do not use it and try to trim the gaskets if they are rubber.

you dont have to have a gap othen then to make sure yer film isnt touching the edge or it wont lay down.

other then that seems like you have everything handled. call yer distributor and ask them any questions you might have and search old posts here too.

Guest metint
20+ yr Auto Tinter but I've just started doing a fair amount of Flat Glass installation.? I?m only doing the labor some else is selling the product (I?m not sure if they know what there selling).

I have a few questions regarding installations:

1. I use a five way tool for trimming the edges I leave a light gap about 1/8" or less they look fine no complaints.? I did a job at an office and was very easy to cut leaving no gap so that?s how I trimmed it.? Another tinter told me that 'I must leave a gap to allow heat to escape'? sounded like BS to me.? Had to trim about 8 panels with a five way .

If you like the five way for trimming, try the Edge tool at 44tools.com. It works the same as the five way in flat glass installs, however it has a bend in it to place your hand to one side, so you can view the cutting area better.

Some like to use White Teflon for a trim guide... this is fine too... they also make a 6 inch White Teflon.

As to the gap... the temp escape concept isn't as far fetched as many think. It is important to not trim to the frame for that as well as... 1) a channel for the water to come out and not be forced into the frame, which can cause contamination back flow or future film edge corrosion from trapped moisture at the frame and film point of contact, 2) allows for expansion and contraction of the glass with out frame or glazing interfering with film edge bond, and 3) in rare instances, it keeps two dissimilar metals from coming in contact with one another (metal in film/metal frame).

Is there any truth to this?? using N1035B (bronze) on thermal units

2.? A guy sold two skylights in a woman?s bathroom.? She asked for something to protect against fading of the wallpaper.? Again thermal pane units.? He sold her R35.? Won?t this film make the skylights look like mirrors at night when the indoor lighting is on? And the sales guy says that this is the only film that can be installed on skylights safely.? Would n1040 cause a failure on a skylight?

Is the skylight Laminated glass or tempered dual pane/single pane? Silver may infact be the best... consider looking into DR35 or DR25 for this application, too (they have a lower reflective appearance on the interior opposed to the exterior).

Film-to-glass chart is furnished by your LLumar distributor... they should also make available user name and password for llumartech.com... this gives you access to the document and much more.

I have a few question regarding sales:

1. I need get an idea of what to sell in order to properly accommodate the customer.? Can anyone give me a 'rule of thumb' to follow when a customer asks for:

Get in touch with your flat glass sales rep from SAGR... Tom I believe... CPF's rep for your region is Howard Bain...

Maximum Heat rejection (ex. office gets direct sunlight 6+ hrs a day, had blinds installed that didn?t work) my guess a silver film like R20 R35

Fade reduction (ex. customer had expensive red carpeting installed doesn?t want color to fade out) my guess something like n1040 or n1035b

Carpet may continue to fade because, 1) fading has already begun and 2) red is the worst color under the sun (pardon the pun). Fading will be reduced, however will still occur. Film dramatically slows the fade rate.

Again, look into DR35 or DR25 as an option.

Glare reduction (ex. Trying to see a computer screen better in daylight or a TV better) my guess the darker the better? and would a frosted film do anything for glare

Frosted film may work for glare, but you lose the skylight appeal and it does little for solar energy save UV portion is screened 99% +. They will still have the image of a window on their TV screen without it being as bright though.

And shouldn?t I? be able to call someone with job specs (glass size, type, exposure film type) and find out yes or no regarding glass failure.

Your LLumar?rep listed above or Andres Vasquez (for now) at CPF ext. 3366.

Thankx in advance

[*]290808

Wow leave it to Metint to post all the answers. :evilgrin

I usually freehand my cuts along rubber gaskets. In old parts of Los Angeles with the clay frams I would use a wide 6" putty knife as a guide instead of a five way tool only because it is thinner.

A friend of mine uses a five way tool with great success, I think that it leaves to much of a gap though.

Archived