Tinting side windows of Blazer

Guest dredlockboy

Guest dredlockboy

Hey. My piece of crap Blazer didn't come with the privacy glass so I want them DARK. It's a fullsize 1993 Blazer. I bought two rolls of tint and ruined one already. Are the side windows considered "compound curve"??? Because on the tops and bottoms these upsided down v-shaped bubbles would appear...about 3 inches long and an 3/4' wide. I'd rub one out and it would appear five inches to the left...I'd proceed to rub that one out and it appeared back in it's original spot. Do I use strips? Theres no defroster lines to hide the seem...will the seem be noticable? I've got superblack limo... btw in EXTREME RAGE I tore the tint off and burnt it. I've got one roll left and not in the mood to ruin it.

I'd take it for a professional job but I'll be damned. EVERYTHING I do for this truck has to be SPECIALLY done. The motor work, the interior, the lift, the paint etc etc etc had to be done by someone else...seems like I can't do anything on my own...in other words I'm tired of spending the $$$... Please help?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest S and S

If you refuse to take it to a pro to have "professional" done or "SPECIALLY" as you call it, then wtf would you think you could come to a place like this and ask PROFESSIONALS for tips?!?!

I'm with S&S on this, and did not respond to this post earler today (I thought I would be "nice" and just ignore it :dunno ).

The reason is the same and S&S's, I do this for a LIVING.

Metint, I thought you train tinters for a living and fail to see how you are so on this thread. I do understand that if a person takes your class and then runs into problems later on and contacts you, that you would help a person out. THis person is NO tinter, and I presume that is not going to make a career out of doing so. Hes trying to get something for nothing. I can't quite think of any other trade that would give the same info that you have givin out.

Sorry for the "rant", but I've had enough of all the free info. givin out lately. Like I've said before..... THIS IS HOW I PAY MY BILLS !!!!!!

Guest metint
I'm with S&S on this, and did not respond to this post earler today (I thought I would be "nice" and just ignore it :lol2 ).

Metint,? I thought you train tinters for a living and fail to see how you are so on this thread.? I do understand that if a person takes your class and then runs into problems later on and contacts you, that you would help a person out.? THis person is NO tinter, and I presume that is not going to make a career? out of doing so. Hes trying to get something for nothing.? I can't quite think of any other trade that would give the same info that you have givin out.

Sorry for the "rant", but I've had enough of all the free info. givin out lately.?? Like I've said before..... THIS IS HOW I PAY MY BILLS !!!!!!

[*]292488

You are so right... sorry if I took food off your fork... :lol

I had just said something today to TD that I find myself sometimes too eager to be helpful and informative... :lol2

:lol However, how is it different from this:

you just get a bar of IVORY soap, wet a wash cloth and lather it up and wipe it on the glass. then take another dry rag and lightly go over the glass and remove the bubbles and excess residue. what you will be left with is a haze on the glass. then just do the h pattern or however you do it from there on.

Or this

work the tip of the finger first, as it beggins to round out run your finger (the one attatched to you hand) rig through the middle of the finger on the glass (lengthwise) creating two fingers. repeat. till all the forced fingers are gone.

Or this

Pop off the plastic cover and remove two bolts per headrest. 13mm I think?

Or this

2 things:

1) Tape off felt areas to keep the contamination down.

2) There is no method which instantly solves problems like this... it takes a lot of practice to understand how to handle each situation properly. No one can TELL you how to do it, you've got to practice, practice, practice.

Or this

use a liner, trace with a fine tip sharpie, go for the money cut but just a tad long on the bottom (like only a 16th) just carve the rubber on the front edge of the glass nice and deep with one clean cut @ 45degree angle, peal spray slip it in. top corner, back edge, front and bottom at the same time.

its alway best to carve in front of a customer, esp mercedes owners.

DIYer's can read, too... :dunno

but you are still right and I'll go away happy :lol

No more info... from metint... :lol

I'm with S&S on this, and did not respond to this post earler today (I thought I would be "nice" and just ignore it :lol2 ).

Metint,  I thought you train tinters for a living and fail to see how you are so on this thread.  I do understand that if a person takes your class and then runs into problems later on and contacts you, that you would help a person out.  THis person is NO tinter, and I presume that is not going to make a career  out of doing so. Hes trying to get something for nothing.  I can't quite think of any other trade that would give the same info that you have givin out.

Sorry for the "rant", but I've had enough of all the free info. givin out lately.  Like I've said before..... THIS IS HOW I PAY MY BILLS !!!!!!

[*]292488

You are so right... sorry if I took food off your fork... :lol

I had just said something today to TD that I find myself sometimes too eager to be helpful and informative... :lol2

:lol However, how is it different from this:

you just get a bar of IVORY soap, wet a wash cloth and lather it up and wipe it on the glass. then take another dry rag and lightly go over the glass and remove the bubbles and excess residue. what you will be left with is a haze on the glass. then just do the h pattern or however you do it from there on.

Or this

work the tip of the finger first, as it beggins to round out run your finger (the one attatched to you hand) rig through the middle of the finger on the glass (lengthwise) creating two fingers. repeat. till all the forced fingers are gone.

Or this

Pop off the plastic cover and remove two bolts per headrest. 13mm I think?

Or this

2 things:

1) Tape off felt areas to keep the contamination down.

2) There is no method which instantly solves problems like this... it takes a lot of practice to understand how to handle each situation properly. No one can TELL you how to do it, you've got to practice, practice, practice.

Or this

use a liner, trace with a fine tip sharpie, go for the money cut but just a tad long on the bottom (like only a 16th) just carve the rubber on the front edge of the glass nice and deep with one clean cut @ 45degree angle, peal spray slip it in. top corner, back edge, front and bottom at the same time.

its alway best to carve in front of a customer, esp mercedes owners.

DIYer's can read, too... :dunno

but you are still right and I'll go away happy :lol

No more info... from metint... :lol

[*]292493

What?!?! Because some DIY'ers might see some info (they wont be able to use it anyway) we can't have a tinter's forum now?

I need a drink.

IM buying the house a round :dunno

THIS is one blazer that we need some pics of . I always welcome someone new trying to tint there windows, it provides

cheap weekend entertainment for me . If this guy needs to buy some more tint, post it here I will be happy to hook him up .

Guest zolar

BOOO!

I wan't more Metint kind of info! (helpfull & Informative)

Part Pastor, and part Proffessor,

That is why I started lurking in the corner, in the early days.

I agree that we don't want to give the art, or science of darkness enhancment away.

But this is a forum of tint pro's, frequented by DIY people, industry people, and yes, hacks.

The value of our network here, is the information we share, both with each other, and to the masses.

We should be at least helpfull to anyone tinting glass, or we should put up a giant sign to keep out DIY'ers.

Diy people are not going to go to a shop first, for whatever reasons. But they may if they get tired of

the bubblelicious, steak knife cut, creased, fried, contaminated, or violated purple crap on thier ride.

And if we don't offend them, they might use one of our shops.

Maybe a DIY forum is in order, with links to the lessons on the main page,

and directions to our shops,

I say keep the courteous advice for DIY'ers, They were'nt customers anyway (YET),

................or they would'nt be DIY'ers

And for sure, we need the advice for other tint pros starting out.

We have the ability to change many things in our industry, as a large voice.

Or we can be turds, offend weekend warriors, and give each other crap about 'em.

Either way I will play along,

....................................................still your turn

Z

And for sure, we need the advice for other tint pros starting out.

[*]292542

I'm hoping to be a future tint pro :hide

Even though some of the DIY'ers questions are so novice to many, some advice you guys give to the DIY'ers is new advice to the inspiring pro. I've spent aand continue to spend good 4-6 hours per day on this site over the past 2 weeks browsing old threads and reading everything that I can so that I don't have to ask the same questions that the DIY'ers are asking so I don't get "reamed out". So I agree with Z, the advice helps.

Maybe a DIY'er thread would be a good idea and have all the rest of the forums have a post count of 25 or so to get into? So they just dont register, make a post, wait for answer, then leave never to return again. Just don't make it 100 until I hit 100 :hide

BTW my applicator glass is being delivered tomorrow morn. Best price I was able to find was $150 for a 5'x4'x1/4". I found a window building manufacturer that gave me a price of $91 delivered !!!

Archived