Why are good shops hard to find?

Guest Brad

I live in the Cincinnati Ohio area and it seems a good, reputable, tint shop is almost as mythical as a $3 bill. After doing a lot of reading on this website and many others I had an appointment this morning at a tint shop over in Northern Kentucky, about 30 miles from my house. I had called ahead, made sure they had the film I wanted (Solargard HP Charcoal 50) and was given a price over the phone, I thought all was well. I arrived this morning about 20 minutes early and after a few minutes found out they don't have the film I wanted, and even called ahead to make sure they had. The guy in the office, who was wearing a Hawaiian shirt with a gold necklace that could double as a tow chain, tries to sell me 32% tint (!llegal in Ohio, front windows must be 50% net, or at least close). I listen to his pitch, knowing I'm not going to do it, and then I find out the price I had been quoted over the phone magically went up $55. I said no thanks and left. When I got home I checked with the Better Business Bureau and this shop has 8 complaints filed against them in 3 years. This is a shop that's been in business since 1987.

Why the hell is it so hard to find a descent shop?

Guest metint

Theory... :dunno

Why biz owners can be that way...

The American standard of living and possibly its economy has been devolving to that which can be found in second and third world countries... kind of like asking a person how they would truly react to impending doom... some grab at everything they can get, in any way they can, just to be sure their share is sufficient when the perceived time comes... instead of adjusting to a new set of standards or means.

In biz since 1987 doesn't mean squat if the ethics haven't been there all along or have transformed for whatever reasons since their inception into the business world.

In 16 years of doing business in Florida I had one BBB complaint and it was resolved and wiped from the record as frivolous. A moral and ethical business mindset can be difficult to find. :lol2

Why the hell is it so hard to find a descent shop?

[*]292438

BECAUSE NEARLY ALL FILM SUPPLIERS WILL SELL FILM TO JUST ABOUT ANYBODY WITH LITTLE OR NO QUALIFICATIONS. THEY HAPPILY SELL TO TINTERS WHO THEY KNOW DO !llegal WORK. THIS "ANOTHER ROLL OF FILM OUT THE DOOR" MENTALITY IS THE SOURCE OF MOST OF THE PROBLEM.

brad, rest assured all shops are not like that.  I tell my customers what I have, what I will do and for what price I will do it for....nothing more, nothing less.  please do not judge all tinting businesses by the experience you mentioned.

[*]292442

I don't think all shops are like that. :dunno I called around to a few more places, most of them don't stock HP film, it's all just straight dyed, which I don't want. One of the SolarGard dealers I called didn't stock anything except for HP Smoke :lol2 There is only 1 FormulaOne dealer, and it's about 70 miles away.

Looks like it this point I won't be getting any tint. :lol2

I can't believe you cant find a shop near you from TD!

[*]292467

I can't believe it either, I've called at least a dozen places today, nobody around here stocks any HP films. I found one shop that stocked SolarGard HP Smoke, but I don't really want that. One shop only sold 35% and darker, this is in a state where 50% net is the law on front windows. :dunno

You need to contact the distributor for Ohio and have them help you find someone. 866-854-3456 or mail Tom directly tom.fisher@bsf.com. Tom lives in Dublin and handles that territory

Archived