Another noob question

Ok, I'm doing a newer model Grand-Am tomorrow and it has the top 6" of dot matrix. I know there has been several ways to do this and I think I'm going to go with the glue method. I've heard sanding is messy with black dust and possible to scratch glass and can sometimes rust. I don't have a vinyl plotter yet so I cant go with vinyl. Therefore I'm going to go with glue.

For 1, I've never done a back window before so I'll be learning how to heat shrink. I've seen it done in person and have watched a DVD. As far as the Dot Matrix goes, I've read about glue sticks and elmers glue in the bottle.

What do you prefer when using the glue method? Sticks or the bottle? Please tell me specific glue so I can pick it up tomorrow morning before my friend comes over with her car. Also, how much do you use? If its the stick do you just rub it all over or do strips spaced out every few inches or what?

Thanks a ton for your help. :dunno

BTW I know your not suposed to state prices on the forums so can someone send me a PM and tell me what I should charge? The customer is a female friend of mine whom I've known for a few years, she knows that her car is going to be my first and doesnt care. I dont want to over charge yet I dont want to under cut myself. I'll be doing the entire car (2-door) minus the windshield.

Thanks

First, you don't need a plotter to use vinyl. All you need is a cutting device (olfa knife is preferred).

Second, the glue's purpose is to fill in the gaps between the dots, not to hold up the tint. The glue should be applied everywhere, not just in strips. Elmer's stick glue should be fine.

Last, if you have never done a back glass, you should not charge anything for the labor. What film are you using? If you are not a tinter by trade, odds are you will be using an inferior line of film, therefore I'd feel guilty charging her ANYTHING!

Guest Al-tint

You don't need a plotter to do vinyl.

Shrink tint over back glass.

Cut to fit, dots included.

Now cut across the back glass a hair below the lowest dot line.

Take this "pattern" and lay on top of 2mil CAST black vinyl.( the good expensive stuff from vinyl supplier )

Cut a bit larger to fit.

Lay tint.

Inside car spray dots with Rapid Tac ( from vinyl supplier )

Peel and spray vinyl.

Place vinyl on dots and cover tint 1/8 inch.

Carefully and gently squeegee out.

Keep "pattern" for next one until you get a plotter.

Guest Al-tint

CAST - 2mil , 2.5mil and sometimes 3mil

Thin film that is melted to a liquid and poured to make the vinyl. It costs more to produce. It does not shrink ( less that .5% ) as much.

CALENDERED - 2.5mil, 3mil, 4mil, 5mil

Thicker material that starts as warm pellets and is pressed, rolled and stretched to make the vinyl. Cheaper to produce. Cheaper to sell. The "memory" in the pellets makes it want to shrink back to it's original form. Look at old crappy sign lettering and it will have a big glue line around the edges. The calendered vinyl has shrunk away from the original glue. The maker cheaped out and use short term vinyl for a long term job.

Both have there advantages in cut vinyl.

$$$Cast - long term, harder to weed, harder to work with. You get more bubbles it you don't know how to lay it down. More expensive and worth it in it's proper use.

$Calendered - short term, easy to weed, easy to work with. Cheap

If you print digitally -

$$$$$Controltac - 3M now has a controltac that has a microscopic cross hatch patern in the glue to it making it almost impossible to lay with BUBBLES. It is very nice to work with. Controltac also comes with COMPLY. After you print your vinyl you can "wrap" it better around the plastic on a mirror and metal corners. It is magic to install. Comes in white and reflective white. $$$$$ worth every penny to an installer!!!!!!!!

Hope it helps.

Guest S and S
You don't need a plotter to do vinyl.

Shrink tint over back glass.

Cut to fit, dots included.

Now cut across the back glass a hair below the lowest dot line.

Take this "pattern" and lay on top of 2mil CAST black vinyl.( the good expensive stuff from vinyl supplier )

Cut a bit larger to fit.

Lay tint.

Inside car spray dots with Rapid Tac ( from vinyl supplier )

Peel and spray vinyl.

Place vinyl on dots and cover tint 1/8 inch.

Carefully and gently squeegee out.

Keep "pattern" for next one until you get a plotter.

[*]293043

Ok this has been a big thing, I use 3 mil Avery and I dont use rapid tac, just the normal tint mixture. I lay vinyl with backing on outside and cut it like you do an eyebrow, then peel and spray take it inside, lay over tint, place where you want, spuegee, and cut like I would if I am two piecing, on the top defroster line.

Guest zolar
1st one?  do it for practice :popcorn

we use the blue elmers school glue.

[*]293503

I second the 'ol blue gel :thumbdown

This is my new plotter, check it out

post-11600-1119745253.jpg

stick or bottle?

:poke

go with the bottle

Price? the Grand Am is about 28-32,000, I think

J.K call the best shop around and charge $20 more!!

dont sell yourself short, unless your work and materials aren't up to par

good luck on that back glass, a good shrink will lay down in the matrix

a bad shrink wont act right with any glue............... stick, bottle, or spray

Z

1st one?? do it for practice :popcorn

we use the blue elmers school glue.

[*]293503

I second the 'ol blue gel :thumbdown

This is my new plotter, check it out

post-11600-1119745253.jpg

stick or bottle?

:poke

go with the bottle

Price? the Grand Am is about 28-32,000, I think

J.K call the best shop around and charge $20 more!!

dont sell yourself short, unless your work and materials aren't up to par

good luck on that back glass, a good shrink will lay down in the matrix

a bad shrink wont act right with any glue............... stick, bottle, or spray

Z

[*]293644

Why would you want to go higher that your competitors? I'm only gonna charge her $120 cause I'm still new. I'm hoping it will cover the cost of the material that I've wasted already /shrug. If not then I'll make it up on he next car.

Guest nautiboi73
the only person who needs to know that you are new is yourself :poke  remember, YOU DID stay in a holiday inn express last night :thumbdown

[*]293652

:popcorn :lo2

kemble, if you want to be a good businessman as well as a good tinter, the only person who needs to know that you are new is yourself :poke  remember, YOU DID stay in a holiday inn express last night :thumbdown

[*]293652

But how do you explain the fact that its taking you 8 hours to do thier car :P :popcorn

Archived