How far below the gaskets do you go?

Guest darkdan

Guest darkdan

If both the gaskets on the outside and inside line up I cut along the gasket and then the gap I leave at the top puts it below the gasket. Sometimes 1/16" sometimes 1/8". Depends on how much coffee I had that day.

On the doors the inside gasket is a lot lower I just try get a smidge below it, but usually end up a lot.

I was talking to someone the other day and he said on those types of cars he doesn't even bother to go below the gasket and he's never had one come back with a peeling issue, but I'm too scared to try that.

When I first started....I used to go about 1/2" to 1" below the gasket. LOL!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest J.A.K.E.

I once heard someone talk about a type of adhesive , for running a small bead along the bottom edge of the tint to keep from peeling?..,,,?? Have you heard of anything having to do with this? Maybe it was a type of fingernail polish,, I cant remember it was many many moons ago!

Guest darkdan

I've used clear fingernail polish before to glue down tint when it didn't want to stick in a spot or two.

But I don't know anyone that does it all the time to seal the edge.

Guest tintgod

I try to go below both gaskets..im my opinion...that is the best way to do it..almost every door gasket has two gaskets on them.the one that you see..and one below that you cant see..the two together are at least an inch and a half in height..so im my humble opinion..tucking the seals down, isnt always the best way.there for ...there is always a chance of it catching the second seal strip that you cant see...but that is just my opinion..take is as yoy may

Guest metint

No more than 1/4 inch goes under the visible rub rail...

When I am cutting a pattern to fit from the outside of the glass, I only add 1/8 inch to fit below the inside rub rail... knowing full well the up and down curvature of the inside glass surface will be shorter in distance, giving me added film of up to another 1/8 inch once installed.

The two strips TGod speaks of generally has about 1/2 - 3/4 inch distance between them... making the film pattern bottom to long below the rub rail becomes he!!ish to install because of this. :gasp

Guest g1craych

I did one car a long time ago and didnt go below the gaskets cause after 2 failed attempts I decided I would try cuttin above and see what happened....after dryin it a little I tried the window and no snags so I figured good to go and did em all. the drivers side did peel back...never thought of the finger nail polish, luckily the girl I did it for was a friend so no harm no foul, just redid it for her....shoulda got some nail polish though cause I redid it for her at her shop....a nail salon.....but anyways I've not cut above the gaskets since

I was talking to someone the other day and he said on those types of cars he doesn't even bother to go below the gasket and he's never had one come back with a peeling issue, but I'm too scared to try that.

[*]296069

Thats how Ive done it for 10+ years rarely a problem. A Jetta would be the perfect example you would have to add 3/8" to the bottom of the film before you could get under the interior gasket.

Never did it and never had one peel

Some cars (like the '06 audi A6 A8) I purposely cut a 1/16 to 1/8 short so that the tint lands perfectly on top of the gasket (no slippin behind).

I tint 2-3 a week without a problem

Heat the bottom edge nice

Guest Sprinter

never had one come back with peeling film for not going under the gasket on some older cars they have some nasty crusty rubber or felt gaskets, break just by touching them...................

Archived