A couple questions about tinting windows?...

Guest themerulz

Guest themerulz

I have a ford contour 1998 and I want to tint the windows including the back window. I know that I see some cars with bubbles on it because of the defrosters. What can I do that will make the tint not bubble because of the defrosters? Is it possible to avoid or will it happen no matter what?

Guest Film Maverick

I've also seen problems because of people using ammonia based products when the window is hot. The better quality films will last longer but if you do it enough it will break down. defroster lines are the weakest point because the film has a tougher time sticking.

edited for spelling - I'm having some beers today

Guest thetintshop

the defroster lines are NOT what makes the film bubble up. I'm so sick of hearing that from customers I could pull my teeth out. if you don't trust me, look at cars WITHOUT defroster lines and they'll be bubbled up too. (of course, there are other factors, cleaning with ammonia, poor film quality, poor installation, ect.) but the back glass of cars lay flatter than any other windows, therefore, gets more sun and fails faster than the other windows. KNOW-IT-ALL cutomers think it's the defroster everytime.

when you go to the doctor, do you tell him how to fix your problem, why you have the problem, ect??? HELL NO, if you did you wouldn't be in the dr.s office. don't tell people, that have more experience than you do, about s**t you don't know and don't understand.

I am clueless when it comes to raising cattle. do I tell people, that raise cattle for a living, ANYTHING at all to do with cows?? NO. why you ask? BECAUSE I don't know s**t about it, and choose to not look like a dumbass talking about s**t I know nothing about.

but when it comes to window tint, how come EVERY person on the earth knows all about it?? I'll never understand it

SORRY AGAIN EVERYBODY--I'll get in a better mood one of these days.

Guest Spesh

The Tint Shop, I agree with you totally, but would also like to add this point.

People always say "You don't know what its like, cause it hasn't happened to you" (ie, you can't comment cause you don't work in this industry)

I used to always agree with that and used it once when a reply came

"I haven't been in a car crash, but I know I don't want to be in one" (ie I haven't experienced it, but I know all about it)

Just a point to ponder....not an attack.

Once again, I agree totally in regard to the back window and bubbles....I was always told that it happened due to the poor quailty glue in the film that heated up and gave off a gas, which had nowhere to go, therefore creating a bubble....is this correct?

Guest Zrok

I don't believe it gives off a gas, but as with any adhesive, when heated enough over and over, the adhesive will fail. and if you've ever peeled that old busted ass film off a car slowly, where the bubbles are, it won't be sticking to the glass, nor will there be any glue due to adhesive failure from the poor quality film.

Archived