WILL I GET BUSTED??

Guest J7TINTANDAUDIO

Guest J7TINTANDAUDIO

I give my customers whatever they want.

With 4 kids and one income I will tint whatever shade just to get that cash. I havent been able to find out if I can get in any trouble for this in texas. I do tell them it is illeagle and its there ticket not mine just wondering if I could get one too ??????

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about Texas, but here in California, the installer (not the shop owner) can be fined 1,500 bucks for each non legal installation, the driver can be ticketed and if in an accident, the insurance company will not pay if the car has non legal modifications and you can be sued by anyone injured in a TA by a car tinted non legally by you...is it worth the risk?

Guest metint

Well, once you've got the kids all tucked in for night night you could do research on the net and look up the (mid-late 80's) 'Blue Sky' ruling under Federal courts system and get your answer.

Granted, it's a crap shoot... but so is getting through the pearly gates. :bingo:eyebrows

I give my customers whatever they want.

With 4 kids and one income I will tint whatever shade just to get that cash. I havent been able to find out if I can get in any trouble for this in texas. I do tell them it is illeagle and its there ticket not mine just wondering if I could get one too ??????

[*]305825

Hey mate with respect to you and your youngsters may I seriously suggest you get out of window tinting with an attitude like that of the devil and stay in audio. :evileye

There are far too many tinters associated here who only do film and want to have a viable legal industry for their older days. Your attitude puts that in jeopardy.

Devil with good attitude.

Guest pmuzik

Here is the Delaware code section for auto glass AND what a winder tinter may be liable for if they install !llegal film. I would imagine that an ambulance chaser lawyer type would have a field day with the tinter if a personal injury accident occured. It's not worth the risk of a lawsuit in my opinion. At least here in Delaware not only do you get to pay a fine you get to give them their money back too :evileye

Copied from the delaware state code

? 4313. Safety glass -- Federal safety standards applicable to windshield, front side windows and side wings; window tinting.

(a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road or street with the front windshield, the side windows to the immediate right and left of the driver and/or side wings forward of and to the left and right of the driver that do not meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205 in effect at the time of its manufacture.

(b) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of any products or materials along the top edge of the windshield so long as such products or materials are transparent and do not encroach upon the AS-1 portion of the windshield as provided by FMVSS 205 and FMVSS 128.

© No person shall operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road or street which does not conspicuously display a certificate by the manufacturer of any "after manufacture" window tinting material which may have been installed that such window tinting material meets the requirements of FMVSS 205 in effect at the time of the vehicle's manufacture. It shall be a valid defense to any charge under this subsection if the person so charged produces in court a validated mandatory inspection notice showing that the Division of Motor Vehicles has examined the motor vehicle since the date of offense and certifies compliance with FMVSS 205.

(d) No person shall be convicted under this section if that person possesses a statement signed by a licensed practitioner of medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine or optometry verifying that tinted windows are medically necessary for the owner or usual operator of said vehicle.

(e) This section shall not apply to anodized glass which is correctly installed in the windshield and windows of an antique motor vehicle or street rod, as such are defined in ?? 2196 and 2197 of this title or of a motor vehicle validly insured under an antique, classic or street rod designated motor vehicle insurance policy that covers the motor vehicle, pursuant to ? 2118 of this title.

(f) This section shall not apply to any surveillance vehicles operated by a police officer, as defined under ? 8401(5) of Title 11. This exception shall not apply to marked vehicles, or those unmarked vehicles used primarily for regular duty patrols. (40 Del. Laws, c. 35, ? 4; Code 1935, ? 5717; 46 Del. Laws, c. 63; 21 Del. C. 1953, ? 4313; 57 Del. Laws, c. 670, ? 15B; 64 Del. Laws, c. 33, ? 1; 67 Del. Laws, c. 227, ? 1; 68 Del. Laws, c. 210, ? 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 357, ? 1; 71 Del. Laws, c. 396, ? 1; 74 Del. Laws, c. 393, ? 1.)

? 4313A. Commercial window tinting.

(a) No person who installs window tinting material in motor vehicles as part of a commercial activity shall do so in violation of the requirements of ? 4313 of this title.

(b) Whoever violates subsection (a) of this section shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500. If any fee was charged for such installation, the violator shall pay restitution to the owner of the vehicle in the amount of the fee charged for installing the !llegal window tinting. (74 Del. Laws, c. 39, ? 1.)

Archived