Install 4 mil To Divided Lites - Use Filmhandler?

I'm likely going to be getting a job which will require installing 4 mil to a few thousand divided lites.

I don't have a filmhandler yet, but thought the most efficient way to handle the job would be to get a filmhandler to precut film to the exact size and not have to cut on the glass.

Has anyone used a filmhandler for this type of 4 mil job?

Guest VOLTRON

is 4 mil to thick to run through a computer cut machine? You schould try and find that out first and if not a film handler could work although I have never tried it.

Guest windoworx

I'll second that from Devil. I tried that method once to realize that all the squares are not really square. Especially with wood divides.

Sounds like a 3 man Job. 1 cleans and preps, second ally film and first squeegee, third trims and final squeegee. Or something like that.

A thousand divided lites, I personally would have walked away because I enjoy those as much as transoms.

Good luck and make some money to pay for the Zidilin when your done.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had also thought about computer cut (not that I have the equipment for that either - yet).

The job won't be real fun, but it's got to be done and the $ should make it OK - especially if we come up with an efficient way of pre-cutting. Think I'll check into the equipment to computer cut. Any recommendations on where to check for that?

Guest metint

If your divided lite job involves small, you might visit an office supply place and invest in a paper cutter.

is 4 mil to thick to run through a computer cut machine? You could try and find that out first and if not a film handler could work although I have never tried it.

Yes, it can cut up to 7 mil with some blade adjustments.

FM will not do it precise enough because the film on the core can wander.

That's why Filmhandler makes available 'shims' designed to stabilize the film feed through its machine.

Guest pmuzik

for that many divided lites I would use the film handler to cut to length and a GOOD heavy duty paper cutter to trim the width. I made shims out of drywall bucket tops and heavy cardboard they work just fine keeping the film lined up and only cost me a little time rather than pay filmhandler for the shims :DD but then I'm an old fart and I like making my own stuff to solve job site issues :evilgrin now if I could only remember where I put those damn things :DD

Archived