install decal over buttons

Guest beekdatinter

Guest beekdatinter

I am doing some fedex trucks wanting to get some ideas on installing the decals over the buttons on the sides of the trucks, never installed over buttons thanks

Guest afterhours

are you talking about the rivets? those are a pain but I've found the best way to do those kind of decals is using 3M controlled tac. you can put the decals on dry and have very very few creases or air bubbles around the rivets. its a good bit more expensive but it well worth it if you are doing big jobs like those. the vinyl it self is pretty sweet it actually has little channels made into it so that the air etc will move out of it without using a slip solution.

Guest beekdatinter

yes rivets they are like a half dollar size, so do you aply all the decal and come back to push in around the button, or do it as u go, I tryed it on a side glass to get the idea and found it to be hard not to just crease the heck out of the side opisit that you start on of the button

Guest afterhours

yea that is usually what happens with your regular viny but that controlled tac usually eliminates most of that.... this is a little time consuming but you can try this...

first of all I hinge all my decals when I apply them dry. (are you familiar with hinging?)

after the decal is in the right position and it is hinged lift the decal up and remove the paper backing (while it is still hinged) pull the decal down tight the press it against the window, truck, etc.. and squegee...

you have to work it like any other decal to make sure there arent any pubbles but instead of working around the rivet take a heat gun and just heat the rivet for a second (dont want toget it too hot b/c it will cause the vinyl to break down and change color and stretch) after the vinyl is warm 3-5 seconds worth of heat the press it out with your finger instead of a hard card. if air collects on one side of the rivet then... poke a pin hole in it heat it for a second longer then press that out...

let me know if you are following!

Guest afterhours

I left out one detail.... my bad :phone ... no dont work around the river squegee over it.... when you remove the application tape that is when you heat it up... didn't mean to leave that out a second ago.

Guest afterhours

well I guess I don't know if that is the proper term its just what I've always called it... let me see how to explain...

if you have your decal already cut out, peeled, taped, then I usually cut off all the excess and get a piece of masking tape and place it horizontal with the top of the decal.... leaving half of the tape exposed and half of it on the application tape...

so basically what you can do is walk up to the object and stick it on there with the masking tape.. step away from it and look at it to make sure it is going to be straight..... press the masking tape down good to make sure it sticks and make sure the decal is straight....

then I lift the decal away from the object (window etc) and peel the backing off.... what the masking tape does is leaves the decal straight while you remove the backing so all you have to do is pull the application tape tight and down,,, then press the decal to the object.... its really really simple I'll see if I can get a cam in here so you can see what I'm talking about... or if anyone knows a better way to explain help me out here....

let me know if that help any

Guest beekdatinter

you did great I get it that will take alot of my prob. out of the big grafix install. im still playing around with this glass and trying to get the concept of the install around the button.I getting closer to figuring it out. im doing it dry its working best but im not geting the install perfect yet. and im trying difernt lets and on some its like imposible so any advice on this will be great sorry to take up your time I just want it to look good

Guest afterhours

I'd definately just do it dry and not work around the rivet. then peel the tape, heat, press... only reason I threw hinging in ther is b/c I assumed on the fedex truck you would be doing huge graphics and hinging works the best on big stuff small stuff just eye ball it and stick it.

Guest beekdatinter

thanks for all the help ,exspeacially the hinged thing I will be using that trick ill experment I little more then im jumping in thanks again

Archived