freon leak

Guest 12345

DON'T MESS WITH IT !

Take it to a repair shop and have it done right.

This is not buying your own tint and having someone fix a job that looks bad !

The Retro kits you can buy will burn your compressor in most cases within a few months, if you do what it says on the box, you will severely overcharge your system, and blow a high $$ part from the excessive pressure.

The recharge kits only come with low pressure gauge, and you need to know both high and low pressure readings to charge to proper level.

People have had those cans blow up in their hand, cause they did not do it right.

If you cannot answer these questions, then please have it done by a Pro !

Will you charge by weight or using just the gauge readings ?

If it is a 134 system, what should the readings be on an 80 degree day ?

Before adding freon to the system, how do you purge the gauges to avoid having air get into the system ?

TD, I am sorry this is off-topic, but this guy could cause serious injury to himself trying to save $$$.

I have been working with my own car A/C since the days of $2 R-12 cans, and had the good fortune of having a neighbor who was an A/C Tech guide me through all the work I have done on my systems over the years, so I feel qualified to give the basic advice to this guy.

Guest solarspot
DON'T MESS WITH IT !

Take it to a repair shop and have it done right.

This is not buying your own tint and having someone fix a job that looks bad !

The Retro kits you can buy will burn your compressor in most cases within a few months, if you do what it says on the box, you will severely overcharge your system, and blow a high $$ part from the excessive pressure.

The recharge kits only come with low pressure gauge, and you need to know both high and low pressure readings to charge to proper level.

People have had those cans blow up in their hand, cause they did not do it right.

If you cannot answer these questions, then please have it done by a Pro !

Will you charge by weight or using just the gauge readings ?

If it is a 134 system, what should the readings be on an 80 degree day ?

Before adding freon to the system, how do you purge the gauges to avoid having air get into the system ?

TD, I am sorry this is off-topic, but this guy could cause serious injury to himself trying to save $$$.

I have been working with my own car A/C since the days of $2 R-12 cans, and had the good fortune of having a neighbor who was an A/C Tech guide me through all the work I have done on my systems over the years, so I feel qualified to give the basic advice to this guy.

:beer I have 15 years HVAC experience and this is VERY good advise. The days of simple buy a cheap can of R-12 and shoot it in are over. If you don't understand the differences of the two kinds of refrigerant DON'T mess with it.

The problem with a conversion kit is the oils in the system are not compatible at all. The oil in 134A is very unforgiving compared to what 12 used. Example if you left the system open to the air for more than 20 minutes the oil is no good it will contain too much moisture that a good vacuum will not even pull out. :beer:dunno:lol2:blah

Didn't realize how old the thread was :thumb

Solar, I didn't realize the age of this one, either till you mentioned it.

Those DIY conversion kits, you end up with way too much oil, and mixing the 2 refrigerants together ?

Recipe for major A/C failure !

Of course the leak means air in the system, corrosion from moisture, etc etc.

I doubt the A/C folks were thinking that the DIY kits would put them out of business.

Same thing with the DIY film, creates more business as a result of DIY.

Guest solarspot
Solar, I didn't realize the age of this one, either till you mentioned it.

Those DIY conversion kits, you end up with way too much oil, and mixing the 2 refrigerants together ?

Recipe for major A/C failure !

Of course the leak means air in the system, corrosion from moisture, etc etc.

I doubt the A/C folks were thinking that the DIY kits would put them out of business.

Same thing with the DIY film, creates more business as a result of DIY.

Exactly the R-12 systems were very forgiving unlike the new R-134A. The problem is that they act like it is a drop in replacement witch in fact it is NOT. This is what is happening to

the residential market right now with the R-410A. It is replacing R-22 and mirrors the problems in the auto side of it.

On another note R-22 is getting phased out with less production every year and guess what

R-134A is half R-22 so get ready for another change in the future :dunno

take it in to someone cuz most likley a seal has gone bad or you have a leak and the can put dye in the system and check it with a uv light. If there is a leak you are wasting money one the do it yourself kits.

Archived