Punch modification

Guest Braud Spectrum

Guest Braud Spectrum

Couple Suburban's ago (the old kind with the wings) I broke about a half inch off my favorite punch. :lol I'd had it for 20 years. It fit the pin hole on the vent hardware perfectly. Naturally the fifty times since then I was in the hardware store I couldn't for the life of me remember to get a new one. Surely, I thought, I've seen the last of those old vents :beer I've done two or three since then and had to make do with one that fit but was tapered and wouldn't go all the way in the hole to knock that pin out. :beer I even used a nail once with the point chopped off in desperation.

:lol Here comes another Suburban today and still no punch. There I am wondering around the shop trying to find another nail the right size to fit the hole so I can beat that pin the rest of the way out...and get out of making a trip to the hardware store. I thought :lol why don't I put that tapered punch on the bench grinder and straighten the taper out ? :bat It works perfectly now. :lol

:beer Why didn't I think of that before ? :nope

Careful when using the pedestal grinder. Have a cup of water along side of your grinder to somewhat quench the punch right after you grind it. Grind a little off at a time. If the punch turns to a dull blueshish color when grinding, your roll pin removal days with it are probably over. The punch has lost its temper and is now really brittle.

Guest Braud Spectrum
Craftsman / Drive (roll) pin punch or the mac daddy set of drive punches from Starrett

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalo...asp?groupid=223

[*]310310

Those are the ones I have Meff only mine has a nice cyllindrical wooden box that holds them.

It didn't turn blue while I did it but I did have to hold it with vise grips because it got so hot I couldn't hold it with my fingers. Well, it was already toast since the first 1/2 inch of the tip was gone so it was worth a shot. :nope Worked this time on both pins. Wonder if they sell just that one punch ? I'll check into it in case I've ruined it.

Wonder if they sell just that one punch ?

I wouldn't see why not. When I was serving my apprenticeship, I broke the .125" punch out of that set that belonged to the guy I was training under. I told him that I was buying him a new one and went to the boss and he ordered just that one punch. I do not remember 100% where it came from though, I want to say msc, but I'm not sure.

Archived