Pulling panels on most VWs

If you are a panel puller, be careful to check the inner door handle cable location upon reinstallation. I normally just let the panels hang while installing the film, and on these cars, the cables normally will fall out of the protective plastic cable-guide. Although, they are still connected to the handle, they may work when you test them after the install, they may fail in the future if this cable isn't installed perfectly.

Definitely. I have run into this issue in the past, but I have always caught the error before the customer picked up the car. The reason I posted it this time, is I had a customer who called me about 1/2 hour after picking his car up... "I can't get out of my car". I had to remove all four panels from his Jetta, while he stood there, and check and fix all of the cable guides. This guy has had me tint about ten vehicles in the last five years, so he was cool, but it still sucked.

Whenever something like that happens to me, I break out into a heavy sweat on top of my nervousness about pulling the panel in front of the customer, hoping I don't snap ANOTHER clip this time :spit while trying to explain to the customer that I really do know what I'm doing and that I'm not a numbskull.

that is why I tell customers to go wait outside or pick the car up later, that way if something happens, I find a way to get creative and fix it.........but yea, VW's can be a pain when you dont KNOW what the fock you are doing.....

why let them hanging though? just unlatch them :spit

Yeah, I typically drop at least one of those funky looking VW compression clips when removing the panel.

I normally leave all panels I remove hanging, or, like on vehicles with an inner door handle that protrudes out enough, I hang the panel on them so they aren't on the floor. I am not a fan of un-clipping door handle cables/bars, or electrical connectors for locks, window controls, etc.

Archived