N00b questions...please help..

Guest alphadog808

Guest alphadog808

Hi guys,

I a total n00b when it comes to tinting...but we bought some Grade A tint off of ebay(privacy, 4%) in hopes of cooling off our house a bit...I had a couple of questions I hope someone can answer?

1) Do I have to buy the liquid used to apply the tint? I looked around the forum and it seems that people use baby shampoo or dishwashing detergent?? Will this work?? If so, what is the ratio of water to soap? Or is it straight soap only? Do I want the water to be soapy when applied?

2) Should I cut the tint to the exact size of the window or should I just cut a general shape and trim with a razor blade? I figure the latter is better/easier, but I'm worried it might be hard to get all the bubbles out with the extra tint hanging off the end...

3) Last question, I think..;) I was going to clean the windows before applying tint by using windex and a paper towel...but the paper towels have lint/dust...so what do you guys do when prepping a window before tinting?

4) Argh, one more..sorry...just to double confirm, you install the tint on the INSIDE of the window, correct? See? Total n00b *points*

Just wondering how you pros do it!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't they include instructions ? grade A film should have instructions good luck alpha dog let us know how many of your windows crack. I'll bet somewhere on the invoice or packing slip there is a disclaimer about thermal stress and seal failure.

but we bought some Grade A tint off of ebay(privacy, 4%)

:spank

4% will more than likely cost you more in broken glass than you saved on your "grade A" tint. Reality sucks, sometimes it's better to have somebody that knows what they are doing work on your house. :heh

[*]314964

Man, I can't wait for the reply on this one. I hope he finishes this weekend. I want to time it to the first crack. :heh

Guest alphadog808

Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was done with work for the day..

CRAP...so this tint will *crack* my glass?? Why is this? I guess I didn't do my research enough?? *sigh*

What kinda tint for home won't crack glass? Is there any way to get this tint to work or do I just have to suck it up as a loss?

Ugh, sucks...any opinions would be helpful...I'm checking out that thread somebody put up...

Crap.

Guest alphadog808
Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was done with work for the day..

CRAP...so this tint will *crack* my glass??  Why is this?  I guess I didn't do my research enough?? *sigh* 

What kinda tint for home won't crack glass?  Is there any way to get this tint to work or do I just have to suck it up as a loss?

Ugh, sucks...any opinions would be helpful...I'm checking out that thread somebody put up...

Crap.

What if I installed the tint on the OUTSIDE rather than the inside??  haha...um..ahem.

[*]315101

Archived