Sq. Ft. or Rolling ft

Guest afterhours

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint rookie

sq foot.

but when ordering film. buy the right sized roll.

ei.: dont buy a 60" roll for a bunch of 36" x 40" windows. get a 72".

sometimes it pays off to have inventory left over rather than a bunch of trims in the goobage

I used to cheat with a piece of graph paper, and plan all my cuts out, labeling to what room they go to. now I just see em in my head.

dont precut, unless your 1000% sure the cust aint gonna change their mind which windows are getting tinted when you get there

Guest Retro Tint
Always sq ft.

But make sure you cover your waste as well.

ie, if a window is 58"x58", charge it as 25 sq ft not 23.36 sq ft.

You are paying for 25 sq ft in film, so should your client.

[*]316408

:evileye Sq. Ft. used from roll not Sq. Ft. of window.

Guest tint rookie
Always sq ft.

[*]316408

:thumb Sq. Ft. used from roll not Sq. Ft. of window.

[*]316421

the tinters who wonder why they get beat out on bids..

who would you choose.

the tinter who's trying to slip an extra 7 bucks per frame in or the one who knows how to read a tape measure?

explain you add a small amount for trimming on the glass, which is more than acceptable.

on a full house job, say 12 panes, over 80 bucks difference, well beyond acceptable.

you buy tint for how much?

you charge how much?

youre still makin money.

trims are inevitable, there will be those times, im gonna just finish this 48" b4 I dive in into the 60"

roll em up and save them trims.....keep your eyes open for french windows. charge more for the xtra cuts on inventory thats already paid for.....duh.....I think you'll make a lil bit more than 7 bucks per frame.

Always sq ft.

[*]316408

:evilgrin Sq. Ft. used from roll not Sq. Ft. of window.

[*]316421

the tinters who wonder why they get beat out on bids..

who would you choose.

the tinter who's trying to slip an extra 7 bucks per frame in or the one who knows how to read a tape measure?

explain you add a small amount for trimming on the glass, which is more than acceptable.

on a full house job, say 12 panes, over 80 bucks difference, well beyond acceptable.

you buy tint for how much?

you charge how much?

youre still makin money.

trims are inevitable, there will be those times, im gonna just finish this 48" b4 I dive in into the 60"

roll em up and save them trims.....keep your eyes open for french windows. charge more for the xtra cuts on inventory thats already paid for.....duh.....I think you'll make a lil bit more than 7 bucks per frame.

[*]316950

So are you saying to charge that 58"x58" at 25 sq ft or 23.36 sq ft??

If you are charging at 23.36 sq ft, then you are the only one getting beat cause you are never going to use that 2" of waste anywhere.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that almost every industry outside of window tinting charges around the sizes that materials are purchased in.

Why would film be any different?

Also, if you are familiar with any of the expensive films on the market, and have had the great pleasure of writing one of those large checks for 1 roll of film ( example, spectrally-selective film) I doubt you would be willing to not charge for the waste or trims as they are referred to.

Just my :evilgrin

Guest windoworx

There is an assumption that if you are in the film biz you are going to use that roll. If I have a window that is 58 x 58 I will be buying a 60" roll. And will charge 25 SQ FT. If you have a legitimate mark up your fine. If you only charge $2.00 per Sq Ft then your a h@ck. It is the Pro's job to figure how to by film. Chances are any cut under 12" are good for side lites and samples. When you accumulate too many small cuts they have a way of getting crunched(at least in my case). Round up, consider roll size, multiply by 5 and you can't lose money(as a general rule).

Archived