Advertise Here

Advice for first time Auto Detailer

Guest jasaman

Hello,

I have made a decision to start an Auto Detailing business. I have no prior knowledge but I have mad drive and I know I can learn and be great at it.

I wanted to ask you pro's your advice on what equipment to buy. And also any other advice you most graciously want to give. I have about 4,000. to start with.

I have a chevrolet Equinox I will be starting with. I will be getting a truck and then eventually a trailer.

I have been looking on www.rightlook.com and I am thinking of taking their 2 day seminar which is 297.00. I also thought of purchasing some of their equipment. They seem to be pretty low priced.

Any Advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jasaman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought their vinyl/ leather repair kit, customer service slow and I felt unappreciated, I spent 1400 bucks with them.

Get yourself a good wet/ dry vac, some soap, rags, buffer/ polisher,

and find a supplier for your waxes and materials, you will do fine on your own. :lol

Attention to Detail, take your time at first, when you learn the ropes you'll get the hang of it.

If you have other questions you are welcome to PM me.

Detailed for many, many years, had to let it go... too hard on my back.

Sold the biz 4 years ago for a nice profit.

Guest Shineshop

:spit

Hello,

I have made a decision to start an Auto Detailing business. I have no prior knowledge but I have mad drive and I know I can learn and be great at it.

I wanted to ask you pro's your advice on what equipment to buy. And also any other advice you most graciously want to give. I have about 4,000. to start with.

I have a chevrolet Equinox I will be starting with. I will be getting a truck and then eventually a trailer.

I have been looking on www.rightlook.com and I am thinking of taking their 2 day seminar which is 297.00. I also thought of purchasing some of their equipment. They seem to be pretty low priced.

Thanks,

Jasaman

[*]318392

I would highly recommend that you get some training before you try and open your detailing business. I know from expereince as I opened my shop back in 1993 and had only "detailed" my own cars and vehicles for the company I worked for at the time and I will be honest - I didn't know Jack @#$%. If I had the resources available to me then that you have at your disposal I would be 3 or 4 years ahead of where I am now. Do yourself a favour and learn how to do this properly before you start and you will quickly distance yourself from the multitudes of "detailers" that open up every year and are gone within a couple of months.

:lol
Hello,

Thanks,

Jasaman

[*]318392

I would highly recommend that you get some training before you try and open your detailing business. I know from expereince as I opened my shop back in 1993 and had only "detailed" my own cars and vehicles for the company I worked for at the time and I will be honest - I didn't know Jack @#$%. If I had the resources available to me then that you have at your disposal I would be 3 or 4 years ahead of where I am now. Do yourself a favour and learn how to do this properly before you start and you will quickly distance yourself from the multitudes of "detailers" that open up every year and are gone within a couple of months.

[*]319204

I can argee with that, but lets face it, what does it take to detail a vehicle?

Attention to detail, the right supplies and tools, a place to do your work and the ability to clean a car.

To run a shop does take a certain amount of business knowledge,

you may be the best at what you do, but if you aren't business minded you will not last long at all. If you're going to seek education, than educate youself in business.

Charge a competitive price (don't gouge, you'll screw up your market) and clean the phuckin car, do a good job in an acceptable amount of time and give them the bill. Time is money in detailing. :evileye

After all your abition seems to be becoming a businessman/ person,

run it like a business, do a good job, build youself a GOOD reputation and customer base, You can make a decent living at it.

Nothing ventured.... Nothing gained.... just do it! :lol

[*]319204

Attention to detail, the right supplies and tools, a place to do your work and the ability to clean a car.

you may be the best at what you do, but if you aren't business minded you will not last long at all. If you're going to seek education, than educate youself in business.

Charge a competitive price (don't gouge, you'll screw up your market) and clean the phuckin car, do a good job in an acceptable amount of time and give them the bill. Time is money in detailing. :lol

run it like a business, do a good job, build youself a GOOD reputation and customer base, You can make a decent living at it.

Nothing ventured.... Nothing gained.... just do it! :evileye

[*]319345

Your right on that one. I have to be honest and say that this is going to be a business venture. I am not doing this out of a passion to wax and wash cars. When I thought of starting a Detailing bizz I thought of it as a business and immediatly starting thinking of ways to get the bizz going and marketing gimmicks.

I think that those who really "love" detailing and say it is their passion in life probably aren't going to do well with it as a business. You almost have to have your business plan first. Then everything follows accordingly. You gotta have some great marketing ideas and you have something that will set you apart from the rest. Once I thought about all that I said to myself "well I probably better learn how to detail a car".

I know most will disagree but I think learning to detail is the easy part. Learning how to get the cars is the creative part!

jasaman

[*]319204

Charge a competitive price (don't gouge, you'll screw up your market) and clean the phuckin car, do a good job in an acceptable amount of time and give them the bill. Time is money in detailing. :lol

Nothing ventured.... Nothing gained.... just do it! :lol

[*]319345

Your right on that one. I have to be honest and say that this is going to be a business venture. I am not doing this out of a passion to wax and wash cars. When I thought of starting a Detailing bizz I thought of it as a business and immediatly starting thinking of ways to get the bizz going and marketing gimmicks.

I think that those who really "love" detailing and say it is their passion in life probably aren't going to do well with it as a business. You almost have to have your business plan first. Then everything follows accordingly. You gotta have some great marketing ideas and you have something that will set you apart from the rest. Once I thought about all that I said to myself "well I probably better learn how to detail a car".

I know most will disagree but I think learning to detail is the easy part. Learning how to get the cars is the creative part!

jasaman

[*]319362

:evileye you'll do fine, but don't waste your money on the the training

from the place you first mentioned.

In my Opinion, you will be disappointed.

Guest AutoAppearancesInc
:evileye
Hello,

Thanks,

Jasaman

[*]318392

[*]319204

I agree with Shineshop. Get some training.

Also please make sure that you have enough money to float youself for a long while.

Having taken my business form part time to full time in June 2004. I really regret not having enough back up cash.. It goes fast!!!!

:evileye  you'll do fine, but don't waste your money on the the training

so rightlook is not worth it? I've been told to stay away from Ding King also. Do you recommend any? I live in Santa Clarita, California.

J

:evileye? you'll do fine, but don't waste your money on the the training

so rightlook is not worth it? I've been told to stay away from Ding King also. Do you recommend any? I live in Santa Clarita, California.

J

[*]319386

No, I can't recommend anyone to go to, I haven't heard of Ding Dong, ( other than... well you know).

But, rightlook did not impress me with their customer service.

It is only my opinion, they may be the best thing since sliced bread to you.

I just don't care for them and would not give them my business if I had the choice.

For that matter, I can make you a list that I made for my guys to go by when I would train them.

It is a simple step by step list that helped them do things in a certain order, it helped them keep from missing things in the process, due to destractions, incompotense or generally not paying attention.

They are charging you for something that any able bodied person with common since can do on their own.

Like I said only my opinion. :lol

Archived