Practice films

Guest yellowkawi

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all the inputs. I only have a garage to practice from (with no doors) so I know I will be exposed to some contamination and I will use my front door (after I clean it realllll good) as a peelboard. I know that I should practice practice practice and more practice, but is there anything else that you pros would like to add---whether it be positive or negative.

[*]320173

Practicing in a garage with no doors will lead to a couple of things... either it'll drive you mad enough to throw a squeegee in it or it will mold you into a solid installer able to install film in the worst of environments.

LLu is to some too pricey to practice with, however, if you have the knack you will waste little film compared with not having the knack for tinting and practicing with cheap film and then having to learn anew the characteristics of a professional grade film. I wouldn't spend too much time using a cheap film if it is found you have the knack and install with ease.

Anyone can obtain a business license and not practice or operate a business and in some cases you don't even need a resale number (sales tax collection purposes, just pay tax on the film until ready to go public)... establish a biz phone, get the license, place a greeting on the biz phone stating an estimated dated of opening (say 6-12 months out), buy and practice with whatever film you want to practice with.

Or... find a professional grade film that will sell to anyone without regard for licensing. No... I am not going to say who does and who doesn't.

When you are comfortable with your installs, having independent input as well, you can open up the phone and your biz for service.

Biz will more than likely be slow in the early months up to a couple of years... consider a part time job to meet ongoing financial obligations.

Just some ideas from one defiant individual.

Good luck!

I doubt you'll ever get good quickly unless you commit...That means getting a job in a tint shop and paying your dues. You can learn alot by watching others. Good tinters do OK, mediocre tinters don't fare very well out there anymore. And it sure as hell doesn't happen overnight. :lol The amount of money you spend on "practice" film, compared to actually earning a few bucks learning the trade without shelling out your own cash, is huge. Something to consider.....

I doubt you'll ever get good quickly unless you commit...That means getting a job in a tint shop and paying your dues.  You can learn alot by watching others. Good tinters do OK, mediocre tinters don't fare very well out there anymore. And it sure as hell doesn't happen overnight.  :lol  The amount of money you spend on "practice" film, compared to actually earning a few bucks learning the trade without shelling out your own cash, is huge. Something to consider.....

[*]320454

:ohcrap ...listen to the ol' tinter..he knows his stuff... :lol

Guest yellowkawi

Anyone in here in need of a "tinter in training" ???? Possibly in the Tampa, FL area?? Don't worry, I am not from FL, I just want to be trained down there b/c I have a friend who lives down there so that way I will have a place to stay. Also, where I train is not where I will stay, meaning you don't have to worry about me taking over which is impossible to anyways.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

some shops will take you on as a helper to do all the grunt work like cleaning the shop,answering calls, getting lunch, throwing the trash, prepping the glass, and basically just staying out of the way. while there you can watch how it is done and ask alot of questions. I'm sure the wouldn't mind letting you practice with some scraps on a loose door glass if you supply the glass.

Archived