Advertise Here

SubContractors

Guest VOLTRON

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mayor of Tint Town

I think Vo/tron is referring to the fact that in some states you are required to be a licensed contractor to do any installations over a certain dollar amount. Many people slide by without it but you do hear of the occasional bust in California of companies doing jobs without it. In my opinion it's mostly a way for the state to wring more money out of us and has little bearing on the professional quality of the job. Still I've had mine for ten years.

Guest windoworx

My company is structured as an "S" Corp. Not required to have a license for this type of work(to the best of my knowledge). Fully insured. I primarily work by myself. I take my time because no one make money going back>

My company is structured as an "S" Corp. Not required to have a license for this type of work(to the best of my knowledge). Fully insured. I primarily work by myself. I take my time because no one make money going back>

[*]320494

werd to that, its true, except we are INC. still insured and pay a grip on workers comp.

no contractors lice or INC of that nature, basically youre in the air, customer has the right (I think) not to pay you if they find out you dont have a contractors license, or INC, or S, etc etc etc

Guest windoworx

FYI, an S corp is an Incorporated Business. INC. People don't pay for lots of reasons. That most likely the last. I am definitely having some issue comprehending today. I was semi electrocuted on Monday and am still a little loopy. Took off today to let the wounds heal. Thankfully my thumb is doing fine.

Im speaking of independent installers that do work were ever the work is. Like the installers you contract big jobs to do for you because you dont have the employees for.

I work for about 6 or 7 different companies, I keep a schedule book and people call me when they need help on a job or need me to install a job for them because they cant get to it in a timely manner or whatever the case may be. In a week I may work for a different company every day or I might work for one company for the week depending on if they have the work or not.

Right now I am working with a company on a large 40,000 sq job and when it is over I might work for another company on a large sq job.

Guest Mayor of Tint Town

beg to differ with you Tint. Contractors lic. requirements are state mandated. I don't know North Carolinas requirements but I can assure you you are required to have a cont license if you are doing flat glass jobs over $500.00. You are correct that a homeowner is not required to pay you if you are unlicensed and the over the amount, but the real concern is with the Ca state cont licensing board who will be happy to fine you and ultimately can close you down. Rarely happens however I knew a lady who had a company in Santa Rosa who got nailed on a sting that cost her a $1000.00 fine for no license.

beg to differ with you Tint.  Contractors lic. requirements are state mandated.  I don't know North Carolinas requirements but I can assure you you are required to have a cont license if you are doing flat glass jobs over $500.00.  You are correct that a homeowner is not required to pay you if you are unlicensed and the over the amount, but the real concern is with the Ca state cont licensing board who will be happy to fine you and ultimately can close you down.  Rarely happens however I knew a lady who had a company in Santa Rosa who got nailed on a sting that cost her a $1000.00 fine for no license.

[*]320511

please differ, learning is a part of life sir, im going to have to double check with our attorney on that one, as I have asked and asked about the subject and they tell me that you should be fine with either one.......I've seen some companies that are INC and have the Cont. License as well..

Archived