Kinda new to the bizz can u help?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do all of my work with the doors wide open too, when the temp is warm enough outside. I even have a couple fans running in the shop when it's really hot here.

First, do you spray the film AS your peeling the liner? Second, you need a harder hard-card than those soft bondo cards for final water removal. I use the hardest hard-card available, it's the grey hard-card.

Guest nautiboi73
Drop the steel wool :) Just my opinion!

[*]322277

put the steel wool down and step away.

the steel wool is fine on the back glass, but the steel wool is going to leave more debris in the cracks to flow out during install. a single edge razor with a good paper towel and tack cloth should be fine for cleaning.

I love the list!

poncho in your first post you said it looked more like air bubbles then dirt.

if it is air, make sure you use enough slip in your water. the lulu has a more agressive adheasive then the wally stuff and it might be tacking down to fast.

and also clean, clean, clean. :)

Sorry but I need pictures. I'm not good at reading at length :lol People, thanks for the help. That list sure helps. I've been looking for a good board to work off of. I had an old partition from a bathroom stall but it got too rusty and had to pitch it. I h@te using glass because it usually get broken. I've thought of plexiglass but am worried about static and also razor cuts after it's used for a while.

I've never thought of a pump sprayer spitting out chunks of plastic. Maybe that's some of my problem???? What's a good but cheap sprayer? With my tint I've been using baby shampoo. Is this what everyone is using? When I was putting more in the water it seemed for ever for the tint to lock down. I had the same issues too.

On rear shelfs, what if I laid down something like seran wrap to help keep the dust down? You know, I think I have more problems with these bubbles on the side glass more so than the rear glass. Case in point I just tinted an '05 ex. cab silverado the other day. I used Lumar on the back 2 side windows and cheapo 'Zone tint on the back window. The sides had bubbles or maybe even a little dirt in them while the back looked perfect. I didn't steel wool them but did scrape and clean real well with microfiber towels and then wetted and squeeged a bunch of times.

Guest metint

* Careful with the baby shampoo... hear tell it will goo up a bottle if not rinsed regularly.

* Try FilmOn or a combination of FO and one or two drops of Prell shampoo, especially for those times added slip is needed... like back glass.

* With your present mix ratio... If you still have film movement after a couple of squeegee stroke to set the film then you have too much soap in the mix.

* Cleaning (or prepping) the glass surface is critical, but don't get too obsessive. Be thorough once and save yourself some time.

* Peel board just for peeling the liner? Try that 1/8 inch or so pressed board at HD or Lowe's... you know the stuff that is smooth white on one side and clipboard color on the other. This board is water resistant, especially on the white side. Cut it to be 3 foot by 5.5 feet and it'll be more portable. Just seal the rough edges with some neatly applied glue or clear acrylic latex caulk.

Archived