Need a little help with remote start pls

Guest RQAK

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Explorer

Autostart: I think it is a Viper 160XV

Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my remote start. Went to start it today and the remote start wouldn't start but I could hear an intermittant ticking noise under the hood. Keyless entry worked fine. Would not start with key. Thought I may have left the lights on so I hooked up jumpers and engine turned over and over...would not start unless I put the key in the ignition.

Engine would then start but would continue to attempt starting causing that wonderful starter grinding which will stop when I put the truck in drive.

I unplugged a fuse under the hood which I think disabled the starter and charged the battery for a while. I then put the fuse back in and got the vehicle running again. The starter didn't engage this time. I shut the engine off and tried the remote start but it wouldn't work. What's going on with this thing? Whenever I hook up jumpers with starter fuse in, the remote start kicks in and tries to start the engine by itself withough pushing the button. Do I need to do a reset or something on the remote start?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Actually, I was wrong about the remote start being a Viper, it's actually an Auto Mate something, I haven't figured out what model yet but I am working on it.

FCC ID:EZSDEI474V

-Ryan

probably a starter/battery/starter bendix issue

remote srarts frequently will start by automatically when the battery is re-connected

unplug the alarm brain, and check the charging/starting systems on the vehicle.

that would help isolate the cause of the clicking and refusal to start

probably a starter/battery/starter bendix issue

remote srarts frequently will start by automatically when the battery is re-connected

unplug the alarm brain, and check the charging/starting systems on the vehicle.

that would help isolate the cause of the clicking and refusal to start

[*]322970

Thanks for the input Zolar. Can you give me some hints on where to look for the plug. I'm pretty clueless on where or what to look for.

Thanks-Ryan

usually hid behind the dash panel at the drivers knees

or up above the fusebox area zip-tied to a harness

there is a bank of relays that control the remote starting

and a ribbon cable with 5 small conductors .....red,pink, purple,orange, etc

unplug that ribbon cable from the alarm brain and no start functions will work

usually hid behind the dash panel at the drivers knees

or up above the fusebox area zip-tied to a harness

there is a bank of relays that control the remote starting

and a ribbon cable with 5 small conductors .....red,pink, purple,orange, etc

unplug that ribbon cable from the alarm brain and no start functions will work

[*]322973

Okay, I'll look for it. Do you think the remote start might not know to stay off if the battery is low?

Okay, I'll look for it. Do you think the remote start might not know to stay off if the battery is low?

[*]322974

I found two cigarette pack sized boxes underneath the driver knees. One says, "Auto Mate" and the other says, "XCRS eXtreme....Satellite" 1000m. I unplugged the groups of wires between those two boxes and plugged the starter fuse back in and the autostart still kicked in.

I also found the "valet" switch next to the boxes. I will try activating the valet mode and see if that will disable the autostart.

Discovered the model number is "AM-6" and downloaded the manual from www.directed.com

[*]322994

Completely disconected the box that says, "AM6" and the good news is that when I plug the starter fuse back in, it doesn't try to start automatically. Bad news is that after I start it with the key a minute or two goes by and I hear a single click/grind from the starter and 20 sec later the starter engages and tries to start again!

Is it possible this has nothing to do with the Autostart?

Anyone know if I am unhooking "the brains" of the autostart by unhooking the box labled, "Auto Mate AM6"? Sounds stupid, but is the other box labled, "XCRS" the brains?

Okay...both boxes (AM-6 and XCRS) are diconnected. When I plug the starter fuse back in, the vehicle does not attempt to start immediatly. After about 15 or 20 seconds a slight grind of the starter and then about 10 seconds after that it tries to start. This is with both of those boxes disconnected. Is there some other controls somewhere that I'm missing or is that sound like something not related to the autostart?

Archived