New Mercedes ML 350 or ML500 Panel removal

Guest Litespeeds

Guest Litespeeds

If anyone needs help on removing the door panel from the new style ML, you will find that there is a hidden torx screw behind the door lock switch. It took me about 10 minutes before I figured that one out. Very tricky because if you are not careful, you will break the door lock switch. E-mail me if you need help.

post-47-1129175040.jpg

Guest Rockabilly

The door lock switch is pretty tricky to get out. We found that we could push it down (towards the floor) an 1/8th of an inch, then get a little hook behind it to pull it out. Careful, the ribbon cables break easily (we broke one on a E class a while ago).

There are 2 torx screws behind the aluminum (or wood? ) trim garnish panel as well, above the arm rest.

Easier to take the whole door trim off with only 3 screws...we tried to flip the top of the trim, and while the rubber came out easily, it was a real biatch to get back in and sit flush. So we took the whole trim off, seated the rubber on the top of the door first, then it fit nicely.

Rear doors are the same, but the top screw is behind the speaker bezel.

Felt needed on the rubbers.

Top man. Im working on the first new style ML I have done and been trying to figure that one out for 30mins.

You just saved me god knows how long and probably a broken door panel. Why do they keep making things harder. They just dont have tinters in mind when they design these things do they? lol.

Anyway thanks, better get back to it cos its 11.15PM now and I wanna go home!

We have had a new ML in today and even though we are in the UK, this is not a UK spec vehicle. Its a left hand drive central European model and there are a few differences.

The rear doors have one bolt under the speaker cover and one under the small trim near the bottom 1/3 of the door. There are no bolts under the wooden trip above the arm rest and do not try to remove this piece as it is not meant to be removed which I just found out to my cost. :dunno

The panel then just popped off with the rubber top trim along the top coming off with the panel.

Just a heads up. :beer

If anyone needs help on removing the door panel from the new style ML, you will find that there is a hidden torx screw behind the door lock switch. It took me about 10 minutes before I figured that one out. Very tricky because if you are not careful, you will break the door lock switch. E-mail me if you need help.
The door lock switch is pretty tricky to get out. We found that we could push it down (towards the floor) an 1/8th of an inch, then get a little hook behind it to pull it out. Careful, the ribbon cables break easily (we broke one on a E class a while ago).

There are 2 torx screws behind the aluminum (or wood? ) trim garnish panel as well, above the arm rest.

Easier to take the whole door trim off with only 3 screws...we tried to flip the top of the trim, and while the rubber came out easily, it was a real biatch to get back in and sit flush. So we took the whole trim off, seated the rubber on the top of the door first, then it fit nicely.

Rear doors are the same, but the top screw is behind the speaker bezel.

Felt needed on the rubbers.

if you push both the switches at the same time in , the dividing bar in the middle is exposed ,pull that thin piece of plastic towards you and it releases the pins inside that locks the complete switch unit in place.

Just done one of these great info thanks :lol2

Guest bnsautomotive

you shouldnt have to remove the door panels on any mercedes other then the new E's and you dont even have to unscrew anthing just pull back the top and pull out the gasket... the tint just drops into place as long as you have a good method..

if you push both the switches at the same time in , the dividing bar in the middle is exposed ,pull that thin piece of plastic towards you and it releases the pins inside that locks the complete switch unit in place.

I worked on a 2009 ML350 cdi  today , great tip Matty thank you  - what a flimsy piece of plastic and design.  I made sure to ease the switch wiring ribbon back into the recess too  :cool

Archived