air quality in my shop?

Guest afterhours

Guest afterhours

I have been in my new location about 3 months now and I have more "re-do's" than I have ever had. now matter how much cleaning and precaution I take there is an obserd amount of contamination for what I am accustomed to doing. now in my other location I rarely ever had to re tint a window unless there was a light gap, corner peeling, etc.......

I am blaming all the contamination on a Steele Mill that is about 3 blocks away. could this be the problem??? I h@te to give up the spot b/c it is a prime location and the rent is cheap, I alos feed off of the car accesory shop next door. is there a solution to the air problem or do I need to move?

perhaps improve on the handling of your film, upon installation, you need to pay more attention to see where the film is hitting upon installing on the actual glass.......depending on what you use as your peeler, clean it? or close the doors when tinting, or should I say your garage door, to avoid any dust coming in.......... :dunno

Guest Beeline
I have been in my new location about 3 months now and I have more "re-do's" than I have ever had. now matter how much cleaning and precaution I take there is an obserd amount of contamination for what I am accustomed to doing. now in my other location I rarely ever had to re tint a window unless there was a light gap, corner peeling, etc.......

I am blaming all the contamination on a Steele Mill that is about 3 blocks away. could this be the problem??? I h@te to give up the spot b/c it is a prime location and the rent is cheap, I alos feed off of the car accesory shop next door. is there a solution to the air problem or do I need to move?

[*]325960

You can also check your water source. I have tinted places where there were particles in the water. You never know, put a filter on your water source.... :dunno

I have considered air quality to be an issue with contamination, but it is not a big deal if you are handling the film properly. I work in a bay, right next to my hubby, who is an automotive mechanic. He is constantly using the torch to remove exhaust systems, grinding off old gaskets, etc., and I do not have a contamination problem. Like suggested earlier, I would check the quality of your water and filtration, along with film-handling techniques, before worrying about air quality.

Guest afterhours

well the thing is I don't have any of these problems at the other shop. all doors are closed at all times possible and the contamination is random, not concentrated a spot I may a touched or brushed against something. I could be 15 or 20 random specs in random places on in the film..... the reason I know the air is dirty in the area is b/c I can go outside and clean my front door by the next day there is a layer of rusted looking dust on it. vehicles are constantly ruined from parking in the mill parking lot for many years that is why I'm thinking it has got to be something in the air or possibly water. the other shop I have tinted in is about 40 miles away and I never have this problem. same basic set up in the shop except one has tile floor and the other has cement.

I have worked out of this totally filthy shop with a concrete floor for 16 years. With all the dust flying around in the air, I normally have to re-wash all of the outside glass of a vehicle before pulling it out of the shop. I have adjusted to handle the contamination issue by employing the reverse-rolling technique, and re-squeegeeing every window, one more time, immediately before installing the film.

With the random contamination you are seeing, it's hard to believe that you are having problems with your water source. Try rinsing the floor with water before every job, keeping the doors shut, etc. Contamination is always difficult to pinpoint, but it is critical to identify the source of the dirt, before you can take action in controlling it.

well the thing is I don't have any of these problems at the other shop. all doors are closed at all times possible and the contamination is random, not concentrated a spot I may a touched or brushed against something. I could be 15 or 20 random specs in random places on in the film..... the reason I know the air is dirty in the area is b/c I can go outside and clean my front door by the next day there is a layer of rusted looking dust on it. vehicles are constantly ruined from parking in the mill parking lot for many years that is why I'm thinking it has got to be something in the air or possibly water. the other shop I have tinted in is about 40 miles away and I never have this problem. same basic set up in the shop except one has tile floor and the other has cement.

[*]325981

perhaps that is why your overhead is cheap :dunno maybe moving to a more appropriate area would be better for the benefit or the future of your business...

I don't know if this is possible, but this is how we prepped our shop (formerly a nasty old garage) turn breaker off, hose down entire shop, walls, ceiling, everything within reason. Let dry, paint entire shop, once again, everything. after this, with your door shut, you should not a dust problem. Also, we use bottled water (culligan style)

Archived