Curly in the Film!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LLumar does the same thing from when I used to use it. :bingo

[*]326216

And that image is burned into your memory of the product much the same as the one I had of their automotive adhesive failing miserably in the mid to late 80's when I sold and installed Solar Gard...

Funny how the tables turn in time... no I don't mean it's SG time for adhesive problem. The point is every manu goes through their learning curves same as someone new to installing. The companies that have sufficient resources to cope with these kinds of issues, are the ones to go with.

The ones that cannot deal with it except to let every roll go out the door no matter what the issue is with that run, are the those needing to be avoided if a decent long term reputation as an installing firm is to be realized.

The old timers... SG, MMM, Mad, CP, FTI, Garware, Hani, who have the greatest manufacturing capacity are also the ones that have the resources to implement checks and balances to catch those issues that need not appear in a finished product. Are they at the top of their game 24/7? Ask yourself if you are and there you'll find the answer. Some things do slip by, but much of it is caught before it goes out... ISO quality standards do not allow it any other way.

Just the other day I was walking to the admin area of the plant. I have to pass the dump zone... the dumpster/compactor. There, as I have seen on many walks to the front, are boxes or rolls of tint ready for drilling and dumping. If a you saw this as I have, being a tinter it would be akin to finding a treasure chest full of gold coin and wanting to jump in it and throw it in the air with glee.

Not really.... it's film that does not meet the checks and balances... this is what also is built into the cost to the dealer for their product used. Now even the checks and balances are not at the top of their game 24/7....

All involved do the best they can with what they have to work with... curly film has always been an industry plague... take a tour of one of the larger manu sites if the opt ever is within reach and you will have a greater appreciation for the product you... and I... have come to enjoy earning our keep with. :bingo

[*]326310

so any chance you send me some few rolls of llumar off the dumpster? :lol

Thanks guys :bingo

Using the last of that roll thankfully, fingers crossed for the new one delivered today. I found a squashed mosquito in a recent roll too!! I was considering making my own Tint Manufacturing plant out of the DNA from the mossie "Jurassic Park" style. :bingo

Oh and I noticed the title change you cheeky monkey TD.................!

I'm also having this curling problem, from what the reps have been telling me the heat from the ups trucks can cause the curling in the film. 

[*]326459

It's curly before it goes on the truck... can't believe a rep would even say that... what a crock! :thumb

not sure what you all are talking about but I'm assuming it is from shrinking the film . which causes the film not to be flat anymore that is why it is falling off the glass....am I right....nothing you can do but not put it on the work station glass till you are all clean and ready to install...then you just gotta keep the glass wet and work fast....or have somone hold the corner of the film to the glass till you are ready to take it from outside to inside....or leave it on the back glass and peel the liner off there and move to the inside.....any way that is how I understood the post

Curl results from a number of things.... but mostly caused in manufacturing.

A component for film has a curl off the machine greater in one direction, they attempt to tame or neutralize it through laminating the second layer (having curl in the opposite direction or from one side to another). Single ply film... ha ha ha ha... trash it, start again.

I have seen them testing for curl in the dept that cuts film to hundred foot rolls... there exists a numbering system and if the curl exceeds the set limit indicated through this numbering system, it does not get shipped... it gets drilled and dumped.

However good the look for curl, it can show it's ugliness halfway through a master roll when the first 10000 linear feet displayed none. It's checked incrementally through the winding process. And yes, some can slip by.

SR coatings play a role in curl only after the SR surface gets wet. SR coating are 'hygroscopic'... they absorb water same as a sponge. Have a mild curl coming from the box, cut it into a pattern and leave it lay on a wet surface too long... bingo, you now have a worse curl than you saw coming from the box.

Laying around on cores in hot environments contributes a little to adding curl memory to the film. The longer it is in hot temps such as a shop with no AC in S. Florida... chances are the film will display additional curl.

Archived