Liner for felt shields

Guest clear image

Guest sendjoshg
if I was close minded I wouldn't have opened the thread and wouldn't have asked a question. Excuse my English for I propably should have said "seems so much easier".

Give us foreigners a bit more credit for having good intentions with what we try to say.

And keep the tips coming, if they work for you they are worth posting.

By the way what about using those liner sheets for the bottom gasket to be able to tuck in the film with the door panel in place?

[*]326346

Kohler

The tape works fine, but try this trink in addition. take a white or black teflon "hard" card (prefer black), cut it into a triangle. On your final cleaning, spray the window (no need to flush the edge, too much water is the enemy w/ this technique), wipe the top edge, then run the triangle down both sides against the window cleaning any loose felt, squeegee the window from across starting at the top, not hitting the edges and wiping your squeegee each time it is lifted from the glass. On the bottom when you roll the window up, lift the lower half of the film away from the glass, TRY AND KEEP YOUR FILM IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS THE PORTION THAT IS ALREADY INSTALLED! This will avoid creases and eliminate felt from breaking off. Lightly mist the window stay away from the edge, and squeegee the remaining glass. Wet you window, remove the liner, wet the film, and slip it in behind the lower gasket. You can use your triangle, or red devil trim guide (painter tool) to move the gasket. The triangle is great for squeeging water from the sides and bottom in tight or hard to reach areas. With a little practice your windows will be flawless. Good Luck

[*]326460

OK THIS MAY SEEM A BIT RISKY AT FIRST, BUT YOU WILL LEARN TO LOVE IT.

I just started working with a guy from Puerto Rico where the sun never stops and his technique is sweet. BEFORE PUTTING ANY WATER ON THE WINDOWS , ROLL THEM ALL DOWN AND TAKE YOUR HEAT GUN TO THE FELT, LIGHTLY SINGE ALL THAT JUNK UNTIL IT IS NOT SO SOFT ANYMORE AND YOU WILL ELIMINATE ABOUT 90% OF YOUR PROBLEMS. FOR THE OTHER 10% OF THE PROBLEMS YOU MUST DEVELOP THE TALENTS YOU'VE BEEN ENTRUSTED WITH. ALSO TRY PEELING YOUR LINER OFF COMPLETELY AND TUCKING THE FILM INTO THE BOTTOM FIRST. 2nd year tinting for me and still open to new techniques so I'm loving this stuff and this site. Thanks and big up to all tinters not in my area competing with us. All locals please move. Milwaukee,wi

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you guys would type in small paragraphs.

I get cross eyed trying to read these drawn out explanations.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems easier on the eyes when it is broken up a bit.

After reading a few more times and seeing MDogs diagram,

I finally think I have a grasp of what you were trying to explain....

.... I think. :lol2:spit

Guest darkdan

Lots of time I get the doors wet and then remember I didn't tape.

Once it's wet the tape doesn't like to stick.

So I'll give this a go sometime (and by sometime I mean April when I finally get another customer).

yeah I knew right off what the guy was talking about because I had tried it a while back, I had a feeling some of the others here didnt understand from the responses.

even with my crappy drawing :spit

And why shoudn't I just keep using tape? It is so much easier. 

because sometimes tape does not stick, thats the perfect time for this method :lol2

Guest clear image

yeah I knew right off what the guy was talking about because I had tried it a while back, I had a feeling some of the others here didnt understand from the responses.

Mdog, thanks for the kodo's. I think sombody finally sees what I was trying to say. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow to post on how I do this. Once you see it you'll understand. As for heating a rear deck with a heat gun, all you're doing is singing the fuzz to get it out of they way. Done right no

one will ever know. Especially after the rear glass is tinted. :spit

Archived